Attending the Upper Mid West Scraping Class

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Last week I attended the Upper Mid West Scraping and Machine Rebuilding Class hosted by Daryl (Uglydog) and taught by Dennis Danich (Optic Eyes). John (John TV) a former student was also present to help out. Fred (bl00) took the class as well.

The course was 4 days, roughly 8-5 with an hour off for lunch. The training started out learning basic scraping techniques on a scrap, cast-iron, table saw top. Once we got a feel for it we moved on to our student projects, 12" Camelback straight edges. Day 2, we worked mainly on the Camelbacks and were given instructions on different scraping techniques, proper bluing, sharpening, frosting and so forth. On day 3 we got to do some machining on the camelbacks roughing the bevel and square edges. On day 4 we started the process of scraping/rebuilding the ways of a Van Norman Mill and got to try our hand at power scraping with a Biax machine. Fred and I were able to successfully scrape our camelbacks to useable accuracy.

Lodging was at Daryl's guest house where we talked about scraping, shop and other stories until bedtime even night.
Daryl' gracious wife Liz, prepared us delicious, bountiful lunches, every day.
John was great helping with cooking the dinners, making sure we stayed hydrated and coaching us while scraping.

I am very happy I took the class and felt it was well worth the nominal cost, and the 1,350 mile drive, each way. I don't think I could have become proficient at this skill without the in person training. Books and videos simply don't convey the subtleties of the craft. Dennis and Daryl are very knowledgeable and patient teachers, I recommend this class to anyone seriously interested in learning to scrape.

Scraping  - 1.jpeg
The Camelback casting after filing...
Scraping  - 2.jpeg
After a couple of rounds of scraping...
Scraping  - 3.jpeg
I was chasing that low spot for a few hours...
Scraping  - 1 (1).jpeg
Highlighting the shiny spots with a sharpie...
Scraping  - 8 (1).jpeg
Milling the square side...

Scraping  - 5 (2).jpeg
Milling the bevel side
Scraping  - 9.jpeg
Test printing...
Scraping  - 4 (3).jpeg
Checking the square side...
Scraping  - 6 (3).jpeg
Dennis scraping in the saddle with the Biax
Scraping  - 13.jpeg
Daryl checking the Van Norman for square using the 3 paper method...

Thank You Daryl, Dennis and John for the knowledge, hospitality and a great time.

Eddy

I wish I could have joined you!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
They are doing another one in September

Last week I attended the Upper Mid West Scraping and Machine Rebuilding Class hosted by Daryl (Uglydog) and taught by Dennis Danich (Optic Eyes). John (John TV) a former student was also present to help out. Fred (bl00) took the class as well.

The course was 4 days, roughly 8-5 with an hour off for lunch. The training started out learning basic scraping techniques on a scrap, cast-iron, table saw top. Once we got a feel for it we moved on to our student projects, 12" Camelback straight edges. Day 2, we worked mainly on the Camelbacks and were given instructions on different scraping techniques, proper bluing, sharpening, frosting and so forth. On day 3 we got to do some machining on the camelbacks roughing the bevel and square edges. On day 4 we started the process of scraping/rebuilding the ways of a Van Norman Mill and got to try our hand at power scraping with a Biax machine. Fred and I were able to successfully scrape our camelbacks to useable accuracy.

Lodging was at Daryl's guest house where we talked about scraping, shop and other stories until bedtime even night.
Daryl' gracious wife Liz, prepared us delicious, bountiful lunches, every day.
John was great helping with cooking the dinners, making sure we stayed hydrated and coaching us while scraping.

I am very happy I took the class and felt it was well worth the nominal cost, and the 1,350 mile drive, each way. I don't think I could have become proficient at this skill without the in person training. Books and videos simply don't convey the subtleties of the craft. Dennis and Daryl are very knowledgeable and patient teachers, I recommend this class to anyone seriously interested in learning to scrape.

View attachment 497681
The Camelback casting after filing...
View attachment 497682
After a couple of rounds of scraping...
View attachment 497683
I was chasing that low spot for a few hours...
View attachment 497687
Highlighting the shiny spots with a sharpie...
View attachment 497689
Milling the square side...

View attachment 497690
Milling the bevel side
View attachment 497691
Test printing...
View attachment 497692
Checking the square side...
View attachment 497694
Dennis scraping in the saddle with the Biax
View attachment 497695
Daryl checking the Van Norman for square using the 3 paper method...

Thank You Daryl, Dennis and John for the knowledge, hospitality and a great time.

Eddy
Having students like both of you was a real pleasure, I enjoyed myself as well.

Back