Atlas 6301 Steady Rest Find

Provincial

Registered
Registered
Years ago I bought an Atlas (Clausing) 6301 lathe. It has a 2 HP motor and a Teco VFD. It didn't have a steady rest, which limited it's usefulness, but I've been able to work around it. Recently, at a swap meet I stumbled across a steady rest that looked compatible. There were no identifying numbers on any part of the steady rest. The seller thought it was off a Clausing lathe, but was unsure. Since neither of us knew it would fit, he offered a price that made it well worth taking a chance.

After getting home and placing it on the lathe, it fit perfectly. Doing some research, I determined that it was the earlier (#7522) version, which would have been sold at the time my lathe was built.

The Lathe:
Atlas 6301 1.jpg

Steady rest:
Atlas 6300 Steady Rest 1.jpg

Atlas 6300 Steady Rest 2.jpg

Atlas 6300 Steady Rest 3.jpg

The ball bearings that had been added had hardened grease, which freed up with ATF and gentle persuasion. I did find new, sealed ones on Ebay, so I have a set ready to put on. I'll polish things up a little, but in the long run, the plan is to make a better stand and do some repainting. The 3-jaw is worn out, so I'll be replacing it before long.

Sweet, always nice when things work out right....

John

Back