Atlas 4" x 6" band saw modification

Inflight

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
When my interest in metalworking hobby started to get to the point of collecting machinery, my dad gave me a couple pieces of equipment. One of these is an older Atlas 4" x 6" metal cutting band saw. This machine is a little different from the current crop of import 4x6 band saws. This saw cuts on the Left Hand side and is only single speed. Although the saw was rarely used by my dad and I got a couple hours of use, the motor gave up the ghost.
Atlas Band Saw.jpgHere is a picture from the manual.
I use Harbor Freight brand Bi-Metal band saw blades which actually work much better than most of the items HF sells. I do end-up shortening the blades by a couple inches for them to fit this saw. I use an abrasive cut-off saw to make the cut, then I bevel the ends, apply flux and silver solder the joint. I've been told that I should anneal the brazed area to avoid a brittle joint.Anyhow, after the motor died, I replaced the 110V AC motor with a DC motor from a conveyor system. I could have used a standard "treadmill motor" but I found this one used for about $35 and it's twice as powerful as the treadmill motors in my price range. Ebay can be a good value if you have lots of patience and are creative with your search terms.
Atlas Bandsaw with Treadmill Motor.jpgYou can see the new blue DC motor mounted just above the wheels.
I acquired an MC-60 treadmill motor controller from ebay, of course, which set me back about $25. I've used the same controller on my drill press conversion a couple years ago. These controllers always seem to be available on ebay with at least three regular sellers. The motor controller comes mounted in a nice aluminum channel that sinks the heat of the power transistors. I mounted the controller under the table, replaced the power switch with an Allen Bradley I had on hand and added a 5K ohms potentiometer to control the speed.
Atlas Bandsaw Motor Controller.jpgUnderside view of table showing motor controller and speed dial. This seems to be a good location as there are very few metal chips landing here when in use.
This is a nice little band saw with a hydraulic cylinder to control speed of cut and an auto cut-off switch. Adding variable speed is just a bonus!​

Atlas Band Saw.jpg Atlas Bandsaw with Treadmill Motor.jpg Atlas Bandsaw Motor Controller.jpg

You can purchase band saw blades pre cut to length and welded. The Atlas/Craftsman is 59 1/2 IIRC, while the Jet is probably 64 1/2.

Back