Atlas 10D lathe barn find

jergenson

Registered
Registered
The lathe I found and brought home seems to have been dropped finding bent pulley and broken handles . I wonder if I wasting mine time and money.
Total to date is 256 dollars I was planning on complete tear down. And rebuild.

They made a lot of 10Ds- but Atlas parts prices are way up these days. Maybe part it out or find another 10D and make one good
machine from the two?
Check the bed closely near the headstock for wear- an exceptionally good bed would be worth putting money into but
many examples are fairly worn by now

Last edited:
Thanks for your time. Doesn't appear to have very little ware although I haven't got it completely torn down. Mostly damaged by handling and shipping.

A consideration may be to part it out and make a considerable profit from the cadaver

To check wear on the ways, measure the thickness and depth at the far end, where there is usually little or no wear. Make sure the clean off any crud. That will be a good reference. Then measure near the headstock, where presumably there is the most wear. Any more than 0.005" variation in thickness is bad. Any more than 0.003" variation in width is bad.

Barn find
Not a bad haul for the price. I'd clean it up and try turning a piece to see how it goes. Handles can be made or replaced pretty easily. Pulleys are another matter but eBay is your friend here.

Back