[How do I?] Atlas 10100 mk2 6" lathe runout

Backyardmachineshop

Registered
Registered
My 6" MK2 atlas lathe has a ton of runout, with every chuck I've tried on it, and with a #2 center it wobbles, I haven't put an indicator in the spindle and pulled on it. But I do have 5thou runout on an empty spindle . before I jump the gun and tear it apart, does anyone know the bearing size? And how I get this zamak headstock apart without breaking it?

I'm assuming the front bearing is probably shot, as the lathe kind of growls a little more than I'd expect when it's running with the feed gears disengaged

The old psc craftsman 1/3 HP psc motor I'm running it on I recently changed the bearings in. Used zz bearings and ripped one of the shields out so I can grease it occasionally. Threw a new cap in it too. It runs SUPRISINGLY quiet. To the point that I know for sure the noise isn't the motor.

It's kind of a perplexing deal. I'm probably at minimum 3rd owner, possibly 4th. This isn't really a nice MK2 has alot of chip scaring on the bed near the headstock. I have been considering selling it off and replacing it with a timken atlas 618 if I can find one in ok shape sub $600, but for some reason this machine speaks to me and I'd like to make it a lil truer if I can.

I wouldn't even bother rebuilding a zamak head- just buy a working cast iron one from Ebay
Depends on the quality of the bed I guess- I have a 3950 Mk2 and it has served me well

Back