Armor milling machine 5H horizontal & vertical

BrassCat

Registered
Registered
In process of moving. weighs in at about 1800#. floor standing mill. Lots to learn about this mill.
Evidentially no manuals were written for Armor's mills. UK lathes has some information on these.
Both the horizontal and vertical mill are on the a vertical column. That column can be rotated to bring
either mill forward. Very heavily built. Rotation is marked in degrees. Ah, pictures:

cp4.jpg

cp5.jpg

Vertical mill head is SKF. It mounts on the end of the horizontal support arm. 2 axis of table motion and table are fixed to the base, with significant backlash. both mills ride on a vertical column and can be raised / lowered there. Mill table longitude travel controlled by handle or can be set to move hydraulically either way, also rapid transverse. Hydrolic pump / control is mounted in the base, controls on lower front. Vertical mill taper B&S #7, found a collet so marked.. Horizontal is B&S #9 probably.

Something I do not understand. The rotation of the vertical support arm (supporting the horz and vert mill heads) is labeled in degrees of rotation. I would think the only usable rotation would be180 degrees with hard stops at each end. First think about for vertical milling. All it could really do is extend the mill head left or right some small. I see no means of cranked rotation , you rotate by hand, Plenty of lock down bolts. You can see the base of the vertical mount column in one of the photos. Second, is this for horizontal milling? to what purpose? If the cutters are off angle from the bed travel ? I can only see making a vertical cut at some angle or boring a hole at some angle. But the spindle is positioned farther away as the vertical column is rotated.

More photos where I get this mill home.

Last edited:
Looks pretty cool, no idea on any questions but more pictures please....

Back