Anybody rewire a fluorescent desk lamp with LED?

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a couple of older (1960-70s maybe) fluorescent desk lamps. They have an integral ballast in the base and a pair of 18" tubes. The wiring is ancient, and I don't believe ever intended to be repaired so just getting LED "tubes" isn't going to fix them. I'd really like to gut them and install LED lighting that will still retain the vintage look.

I can rewire a light switch, or outlet, but electrical work is actual work, and not one of my strengths.

Just wondering if somebody may have taken on a similar project or be aware of a kit or good instructions on doing something like this.

This is one of the lamps I'd like to repair, the other is similar but a movable base (sits on the desk instead of being mounted to the desk) with a gooseneck instead of the articulated arm.
I can get some better photos if needed.

Lathe and bench.jpg

Probably what I would do is install a small low voltage power supply or transformer where the ballast used to be, then
put an LED strip of some kind in the reflector- maybe some type of plant light or shop light you could adapt
The effort to do so may not be worth it to you
I'm still a fan of fluorescent lighting myself

Last edited:
If you need a different length or color, search on LED replacement for T5 fluorescent lamps. They usually come in 8", 12" or 18" lengths.

Probably what I would do is install a small low voltage power supply or transformer where the ballast used to be, then
put an LED strip of some kind in the reflector- maybe some type of plant light or shop light you could adapt
The effort to do so may not be worth it to you
I'm still a fan of fluorescent lighting myself

That is kind of what I was thinking. I'd prefer "tube lights" to help maintain the appearance, but one of those flat panels would work as well. That would still be a suntle change, it's not like many people will stick their face under the hood.

I'm just not sure what or even where to look for such conversion parts.

I'm fairly indifferent to fluorescent lighting. Once they introduced daylight bulbs I really started to warm up to it, but it wasn't too much longer before LED arrived and I see no downside to it.

If you need a different length or color, search on LED replacement for T5 fluorescent lamps. They usually come in 8", 12" or 18" lengths.

The bulbs absolutely are available, but the issue is the flourescent bits are not functional, so not as simple as just swapping with new tube's, and LED won't work either in the current state. That is my issue, I'm not sure what needs to be replaced to make LED work. It might be as simple as yoinking out the old ballast and wires and replacing with new wiring, but I don't think if it is really that simple.

I have a couple of older (1960-70s maybe) fluorescent desk lamps. They have an integral ballast in the base and a pair of 18" tubes. The wiring is ancient, and I don't believe ever intended to be repaired so just getting LED "tubes" isn't going to fix them. I'd really like to gut them and install LED lighting that will still retain the vintage look.

I can rewire a light switch, or outlet, but electrical work is actual work, and not one of my strengths.

Just wondering if somebody may have taken on a similar project or be aware of a kit or good instructions on doing something like this.

This is one of the lamps I'd like to repair, the other is similar but a movable base (sits on the desk instead of being mounted to the desk) with a gooseneck instead of the articulated arm.
I can get some better photos if needed.

View attachment 504806
Can't help with the lighting question , but noticed that you have a nice watchmakers bench and lathe!

If it is the tube that failed, the LED replacement type that is a plug in replacement would work. If the ballast or starter has failed then the type that bypasses the ballast will work. For that type, it is usually as easy as bypassing the ballast.

I think it really is that simple- the ballast is just bypassed

If it is the tube that failed, the LED replacement type that is a plug in replacement would work. If the ballast or starter has failed then the type that bypasses the ballast will work. For that type, it is usually as easy as bypassing the ballast.
Awesome, will have to dig deeper, but that is good news.

Can't help with the lighting question , but noticed that you have a nice watchmakers bench and lathe!

Yes the lathe is a Waltham Watch Tool Company lathe made around 1900. The photo is from when I first got it, the lathe, bench and lamp were a package. It had been used by a retired jeweler, I started a post about it a couple years ago when I got it. The lathe is running now, so the lamp is just the next stage of repair.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/waltham-watch-tool-company-ww-style-lathe.97781/

Back