Any ideas on a quick way to square up a workpiece on the mill table?

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
Large workpieces that cannot fit in the vise. They have to sit on the mill table and held down by clamps. I am working on a workpiece that is floating a couple inches about the table, sitting on a couple of 1 2 3 blocks. I've just been using a indicator to square it up, but it takes some time.

Is there a way or a tool that can be made to square up on the table? Maybe something to start the process and finish up the last few thousandths with an indicator.

Something that can adjusted to move in or out, depending on the location of the workpiece.

In the vice you use the fixed jaw and one spacer to lineup the block. On the mill table, I would use an angle block and a spacer (123 block(s), round bar, etc) to do the same.

Do you not have moveable jaw faces? or is the piece still biger than that?

With some mill vices you can move the jaw plates to hold stock larger than the jaw opens...

When doing multiple large parts. I usually square up the first part then use hold downs butted against the part and clamped just to the table, to position the next one. If done carefully, I don't even indicate the subsequent parts, but I guess it depends on the required accuracy.

It’s often possible to roughly align within a few thousandths by eye, by using one eye and positioning your head to place the part edge adjacent to a machine edge. I use that for the lathe tool holder rotation (aligned to cross slide) and it can work with parts to the mill table edge or t-slots.

This is one of those things that goes quick with practice.

Some tips.

Use standoffs. This is a milled bar with recessed bolt holes that can use a T nut. They are soft so the endmill can cut them if needed.

Set part on as square as you can eye ball.

Tighten one hold down in one corner, This becomes your part 0.

Now touch a drill or end mill or ? at that corner. Rapid the table to the other end of the part. Tap part till it just touches. Tighten an other hold down on this end.

Now you are within 10 thou.

If you need better go back to your part 0 point and zero a dial indicator. Rapid to second point and measure. If needed loosen this hold down till you can tap it in place and re tighten.

This should get it to within a thou or two. It you need better, repeat.

pic of standoff

standoff.jpg

Last edited:
PS, if doing a lot of parts; drill places for roll pins and install in the stand offs. Now just place part 2 against the roll pins.

How big is your part?
How big is your mill?

These make a difference as to how I would attack the problem.

In the vice you use the fixed jaw and one spacer to lineup the block. On the mill table, I would use an angle block and a spacer (123 block(s), round bar, etc) to do the same.
Could you explain? I'm not new to machinging, but I don't understand this answer.

GsT

Large workpieces that cannot fit in the vise. They have to sit on the mill table and held down by clamps. I am working on a workpiece that is floating a couple inches about the table, sitting on a couple of 1 2 3 blocks. I've just been using a indicator to square it up, but it takes some time.

Is there a way or a tool that can be made to square up on the table? Maybe something to start the process and finish up the last few thousandths with an indicator.

Something that can adjusted to move in or out, depending on the location of the workpiece.

Normally I would just use a square on one good edge.

For something floating like you’re describing, do your setup along with hold downs in place but not tight.

Lightly snug one corner and put a dowel pin in the mill. Bring it to near the corner that is snug and use this as a reference with your DRO, then bring the adjacent corner/edge into line.

After that bring out the indicator.

Back