Anvance /Retract threading tool holder plans ?

oldgascar

Active User
Registered
I saw somewhere a man threading on a lathe and at the end of a threading pass, the carriage was disengaged as normal, then the man pulled a lever on the tool holder which retracted the threading tool enough to be able to then crank the carriage back to the starting position. Then lever on the tool was then pushed fwd. To return the threading tool tip to the previous position. Then the cross slide would be advanced as normal to the next depth pass. This seemed so cool. Has anyone ever seen any plans to build this type of tol holder? I presume it was a gear rack and gear set up or some type of eccentric boss set up to advance and retract the tool.

Bob

At the time I had an Atlas 10F24 and using a AXA Phase II clone. I now have a old Jet BDB1340 clone. Works fine.

The kit supplies full set of drawings that are complete, the metal parts are simply different pieces of steel stock, metric screws etc. I substituted SAE screws for the metric stuff. I used the Atlas for any turned parts and friend's Chinese mill for any milling. Took maybe about 10 hrs maybe to make, i did not time it but 2 weekends of about 4+ hrs and some fitting time. It has about .100" throw but could be made to a larger throw by changing the camshaft specs. The gib was simply draw filed to fit the angles.

Very good kit to build and not a complex as I had original thought.
Pierre

PS I think the guy one is dealing with is from the states per others who have used his kits.

I made one pf the ones that swing up when reversing. Works great. Of course I need to make a new one as I changed tool posts. *sigh*

Material is steel (unknown alloy) I don't have any of the pics of it finished. Here is a few process pics before I put the set screws and adjusting knob for the tool post:

158.JPG
152.JPG
DSC00849.JPG

152.JPG

158.JPG

152.JPG

DSC00849.JPG

Bob, tool retraction does greatly simplify the thread process. I originally constructed the tool holder described on the gagetbuilder's site. The plans come from the Model Engineers Workshop Manual by George Thomas. I have used this tool for several years and find it a huge improvement over threading without being able to retract the tool. I do both metric and Imperial threading so I never disengage the half nuts.

The Thomas tool works very well but only for threading, I wanted to have a more permanent retraction capability like some of the more expensive lathes have. This meant that the cross slide had to be the moveable piece in any retraction scheme. I wrote a rather lengthy article on how this was done for a 10 x 22 lathe. I have used this cross slide retractor for sometime now and really think it is the way to go. Just about any bench lathe could be modified in this manner, some easier than others. Here is the post to the article I wrote:

http://www.projectsinmetal.com/forum/general-discussion/making-a-g0602-cross-slide-retractor/

Jim

Jim ,

WOW ....What a beautiful project. That is GREAT !!!!
Maybe I will siomeday retire and will have enough time to build this.

Thanks for posting the link.

Bob

Back