Allen Wrench Storage

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A little time saving upgrade! I had done the SAE version on the right a while ago. Given the poor lighting where they stay handy across from my lathe, I had to brighten the top hole area just to return a wrench home. Later, I did an improved version for the Metric set. It's all held on by packing tape. I have no doubt that you all can improve on this & hope to see what others have done to save time!
20191120 07.jpg

I don't have much of a need for imperial sizes, just a couple. I looked for various brand of T-handle hex wrenches to replace my old Craftsman ones that would fit my tool rack. Also did not want ball ends & didn't want long extended shanks. Ended up that a cheap Husky set from HD fit my needs & also included imperial sizes. The 2 red Wiha ones have stubby shanks which I use for my screwless vises. All of these are what I use the most & are easy access at the bench that stands next to the lathe. My other sets are Bondhus L-key sets that I keep in the tool box, ball end, short end stubby, etc.

20200113_191605.jpg

I've never see Allen wrenches with the color coded handles. Where do they come from?

These are hex key wrenches that are commonly called " Allen" wrenches . " Allen " is a manufacturer of such wrenches only , as is Eklind , Bondhus , Proto , SnapOn , Armstrong etc . To put the term Allen wrench onto a HF set is doing the company quite an injustice , just as saying a SnapOn / Armstrong set is not an Allen set .

But to answer the question as to how to store them , I throw them into a very large , deep Vidmar drawer and then take them to the scrap yard when drawer becomes full . :grin:

Attachments

• IMG_0847.JPG
    IMG_0847.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0848.JPG
    IMG_0848.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 102
Thanks for the input!

I don't remember where I got the Hex Keys from - & no, I won't muddy Allen's good name anymore!

Back