Air deburr tool

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have some metal plates I'm making and they have a pretty healthy burr on the edges after machining. I deburred couple with a burr knife and that was difficult. So I found this tool on amazon. Works pretty well. I also bought extra inserts with it. I'm not sure how to change the insert yet, but I'll figure that out when the time comes. There are different versions of this too, some don't have a 1/4" pipe thread, they have some weird straight fitting with an o-ring fitting.

The tool will get into a .400 hole and chamfer it.

Pics of before and after. Puts a nice finish on the edge. You can get chamfer or radius inserts.

I'm pretty happy with it.

20240912_203817.jpg

20240912_203811.jpg20240912_203828.jpg

i was looking at these just yesterday. i have made a point of not running air for tools like this in the shop and really just want a router bit that takes the same inserts and does the same thing, but could not find them. it looks to me like the 'bit' is more integrated into this tool, no?

I find they leave a lot of chatter. I can see some in your photos as well. Making a minimum size chamfer seems to work best (or at least makes the chatter less noticeable), althernately rough out the chamfer with the rotary tool and finish with a file. The latter works reasonably well.

I've mostly relegated mine to weld prep and rough deburring.

GsT

They do leave a slight chatter, but its a lot better than trying to use a burr knife. There is no need to do any more finishing for my application.

To change the insert I'll have to partially disassemble it, but so far the inserts have held up well.

I would have like to have found something like a router table but I didn't see anything. I guess I could make something but just don't have the time or inclination to do that right now.

I think a table would be easier to use and leave a nicer finish.

You could probably mount it to a router table. I see those on local sites for $20 or so, sometimes with the router.

I haven't seen anything listed closer than 100 miles from me yet.

I'll keep looking but for now what I've got works for me.

I have one of these tools at work. It’s great for chamfering the edges of plates.
Swag Offroad make a table for them.

Back