Air Compressor Regulators auto type anyone know about these things?

sycle1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a THB brand auto type regulator on my work compressor and all of a sudden the thing is pissing out air non stop and emptying the tank.
Is it a case of the regulator has done its time and replace it, or is it still serviceable?
Appreciate any info.
I went to the THB website and it has a site but all the links are broken.

Typically the rebuild kits if you can find them cost as much as replacing the regulator. Most are rebuildable, but the diaphragm or O-rings go. I usually just find NOS regulators on eBay. I like the Norgren products, I have several of their filters and regulators, they are still all working well after many years of use.

I have found that when my compressor starts pissing air after it shuts off, the culprit is the check valve on the compressor. It happened to me a few weeks back. This has happened maybe three times in the past ten years. This is the valve that bleeds air pressure from the compressor allowing an easy restart.

Rust particles or dirt in the line lodges on the valve seat and prevents it from closing. The repair consists of removing the check valve and cleaning.

Norgren , Wilkerson etc are what we used at the plant . If you were closer I could set you up as the basement is loaded with NOS . Shipping to down under I assume would be quite expensive .

I never met an auto draining regulator I liked... Taking it apart and cleaning it will usually fix it, until it starts leaking again...

I have a THB brand auto type regulator on my work compressor and all of a sudden the thing is pissing out air non stop and emptying the tank.
Is it a case of the regulator has done its time and replace it, or is it still serviceable?
Appreciate any info.
I went to the THB website and it has a site but all the links are broken.
Just speculating here, you likely have a regulator with a broken diaphragm and for that size regulator replacement is likely less expensive and problematic that a repair.

I agree I don't like the auto draining regulators they drive me nuts pissing out air whenever, for no reason. so I am saying goodby to Auto draining and going back to manual, I have a new manual one on its way.
Didn't think it would be worth the time and effort to fix it and seeing how I have never liked it anyway, real happy to finally get rid of it.
So thanks for the replies

Uhhh you mean an auto unloading regulator?
To clarify, I am talking about the filter/water separator part, attached before the actual regulator. The auto drain valves on those are a nightmare. At my old shop, we had an electric auto-drain on the tank, that worked fairly well.

It seems like this thread has spread into multiple components.
* on / off switch with unloader - if this is draining the tank, the check valve is bad
* pressure regulator - if this is draining the tank, its diaphragm is bad
* auto drain valve - if this is draining the tank, take it apart and clean it. May and may not need repair parts.

Back