Advantages to mini lathes?

djf123

Registered
Registered
Are there any advantages to owning a mini bench lathe for metalworking as opposed to a huge full-sized lathe. A professional machinist once mentioned to me before that you should buy the biggest lathe that you can due to superior rigidity of the machine. But are there any advantages to owning a bench lathe? The only three I can think of are lower cost, easier to move, and it takes up less space. But are there any practical uses in which a bench lathe could do better work?

Also, how much more precise is a full sized lathe compared to the best mini bench lathe money can buy? And can a mini lathe make everything that a big lathe can make but just not to the same precision?

There is a point where your work is so small that a large lathe becomes cumbersome. I wouldn't do watch parts on my 12x36, nor would my work be suited for a 30x150 oil field lathe. But within reason, a larger lathe will give you better control over your work, more rigidity, more accuracy, more room to setup odd jobs, and more room to grow into.

By the way, you will grow into any lathe you buy. I had only done small turning in my mill <0.5" diameter. I bought a 12x36 lathe which I thought was absolutely massive and I'd never need all the capacity...

This was the very first part that I cut on it (4x4x18 solid aluminum).

1610158015515.png

Last thought and then I will let others answer. Some features may not be available on smaller lathes. Ones that come to mind:
  • Room to mount a DRO
  • Quick Change gearbox
  • Separate feed and thread shafts
  • Power cross feed
  • D1-x camlock spindle (I wish!)
  • Oiling provisions

Doing model work on a small lathe is a heck of a lot easier. Changing chucks for one.

Doing model work on a small lathe is a heck of a lot easier. Changing chucks for one.

Yes, my radio control airplane building hobby requires a mini lathe for tiny pieces.

Another positive for the mini lathe:

Small work normally requires higher RPM. The mini lathes normally are designed to top out at 2500 rpm (if memory serves me correctly).

Most bigger lathes do not go this fast. Also a 6" chuck spinning at 2000 rpm is very intimidating versus a 3" at that speed.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Smaller lathes have the following advantages:

More compact footprint.
Less weight should you need to move it to another spot, or heaven forbid, a basement.
Modest power requirements, most work on 110V. Current from a 15 amp socket will power most.
Ancillary parts, like steady rests, weigh very little, and are easy to manhandle.. this includes Chucks, which can be held with one hand.
Contrary to the rumors, Little Machine Shop sells DROs made expressly for mini lathes. And they are inexpensive.
Normally, they can spin at higher RPMs, which work well for parts with a smaller Outer Diameter.
They use smaller tools and carbide, which normally cost less than the "big boy" tools.
The 7 by 10/12/14/16 lathes have a wealth of interchangeable parts, which are commonly available.
Replacement parts and upgrade parts are MUCH less expensive than bigger lathes.
They leave room on a modest sized bench to have a variety of tools within reach (or a beer).
For their size, the quality models can produce surprisingly good parts.

Are there any advantages to owning a mini bench lathe for metalworking as opposed to a huge full-sized lathe. A professional machinist once mentioned to me before that you should buy the biggest lathe that you can due to superior rigidity of the machine. But are there any advantages to owning a bench lathe? The only three I can think of are lower cost, easier to move, and it takes up less space. But are there any practical uses in which a bench lathe could do better work?

Also, how much more precise is a full sized lathe compared to the best mini bench lathe money can buy? And can a mini lathe make everything that a big lathe can make but just not to the same precision?

You've gotten some good input, especially from addertooth. I think you will also find the same advice about buying the biggest lathe you can here on HM BUT let me offer some food for thought.

A lathe is a really important machine tool in the shop, possibly the key machine for some of us, and the lathe you choose is not just about size because small lathes can be rigid, too. The real question you should be asking YOURSELF is what you need the lathe to do and buy a lathe that will allow that. We've had discussions about this very topic recently and this one thing - buying a lathe that will suit your needs - is critical for you to spend some time thinking about because that choice will impact on so many things: space needed to house the lathe, power requirements, tooling choices and costs, and on and on and on.

PLEASE take some time and ask yourself what your plans and needs are, then ask about lathes once you can give us a ball park idea.

Now, with that said, how precise a lathe is is not based on size. As evidence, I give you the Hardinge HLV-H. Even a Sherline lathe is capable of working with great precision so size does not determine the degree of precision a lathe can work to; that has more to do with the operator. What a big lathe can do is make bigger parts, something a small lathe cannot do. Conversely, while bigger lathes can also make small parts, it is often easier to make small parts on a smaller lathe. You will also find that the tooling you use has a great impact on how precise you can work.

The last point I want to make is that while a big lathe is naturally more rigid, how rigid it needs to be depends on the work it has to do. If you only plan to make model engines or smaller parts then what use would a 14" lathe be to you? Moreover, not all lathes in a size range are created equal. I own a smallish Emco Super 11 CD lathe. While it is only an 11" lathe, it is capable of taking cuts that some larger lathes would have trouble making. Accordingly, you will find that the quality of the lathe does have a bearing on how functional it is, which is why many of us would steer you towards a Taiwanese lathe rather than a Chinese one.

There are many, many factors that go into choosing a lathe and many of them are inter-related. It really comes down to what you need the lathe to do.

A lathe is an investment in your hobby machining future. Spend the time to figure out what you need, and the money to purchase the correct tool.

Last year I traded a not very good small lathe for a not very good large lathe. I saw many better machines offered but could not justify the cost. I'm not disappointed because I have turned two non-functional tools into ones which can at least perform basic functions, and I enjoy fixing things at least as much as building things.

It is often said that a lathe is the only machine tool that can reproduce itself. While this is an oversimplification I can testify that the last two I've owned have actually made many of the parts needed to fix themselves. The best tool is ultimately the one you have that does the job you need it to do, don't waste time trying to figure it out beyond that. Just get something and start making chips.

You will find every good piece of advice on choosing machine tools duplicated dozens of times on this forum and almost as much bad advice.

My advice, is you can never accurately predict your future so you should act on your best instincts in the present. If you have $1000 now you can either buy a small new lathe or a larger used lathe. Either one will teach you about machining, and the lessons learned will be equally as valuable.

The only resource which is truly limited is time.

John

Back