ACE 1/4 - 3/4" tap & die set, marketplace purchase

UNF & UNC, Very nice! Bet you will find a use or two for those in the future..

Most of my Taps and dies are BSCy. The only other Taps and Dies are metric for this darned 7x lathe I am rebuilding where I neet to tap holes or make specific fasteners.

Most of my Taps and dies are BSCy. The only other Taps and Dies are metric for this darned 7x lathe I am rebuilding where I neet to tap holes or make specific fasteners.
thanks! just finished using it to tap the giant T-nut I made for my new lathe tool post. the one that came with the tool post was way too small. I have nice US made metric and SAE tap sets, but they only go up to 1/2" and 13mm. this was 3/4-16. did a little cold bluing after I tapped it. so far I haven't run into anything with British threads.
PXL_20240520_170326938.MP.jpgPXL_20240520_170331514.MP.jpgPXL_20240520_170722442.MP.jpg

Nice T nut!

Now I have my milling slide, I will be looking at a frew "Simple" projects once I get my current milling project done (Metal slider for a MK-IV Raleigh Chopper shifter).

Like most Hanson's they are most likely high carbon , not HSS . Still a nice set , I have a smaller Ace set somewhere around in the dungeon .

You need to buy/bid on some job-lot "engineer tools" lots on eBay. They're almost always rammed with taps and dies, plus the odd nice items that makes them worth buying/bidding.

Or keep an eye out on Charter Auctions for small workshop clearances. Often they'll sell tool-chests and contents as lots and I've got a TESA 0-1" and TESA 1-2" mics in great condition and a couple of nice 0.001" TESA clocks and some nice old M&W steel metrologbits.s from s couple of their lots I bidded on.

As a result though I have BA, BSW, UNC, UNF taps and dies coming out of my arse. Handy to have but unfortunately, I'm unable leave them in the mucky state they always turn up in, so I always end up with a few hard sessions in the shop with WD40, MEK, wire brushes and steel wool. :grin:

Got some nice, shiny and acceptably sharp taps and dies out of those sessions though. ;)

Like most Hanson's they are most likely high carbon , not HSS . Still a nice set , I have a smaller Ace set somewhere around in the dungeon .
Yes, carbon steel; use on stainless will ruin the tool in possibly one use.

mill tooling can get out of control really quick. before you know it, you have drawers of the stuff.

Because I don't see "HS" stamped on any of the dies, I also suspected carbon steel.
However, I don't think I've ever seen a non-HS adjustable dies.

Based on the nice case and "Professional Quality" on the label, maybe they are HSS.

@yota
Are any of the taps or dies marked HS?
If not, please run a file against an edge of some dies to determine if they are RC60ish hard.

Inquiring minds want to know.

PS: I have a HANSON 29 peace (1/16-1/2) drill set w/ Index that I bought in the early 70s (Good God, that's 50 years ago) and they are HSS and still in very good shape.

most likely. but the 3/4" tap and die cut that big tool post bolt like butter this morning. besides threading the new T-nut, I had to lengthen the threads on the bottom of the bolt as the new nut was quite a bit thicker. the die worked as well as the tap. I spent 2 hours this afternoon cleaning everything and coating everything in Boeshield, as I always do.

Back