8525 Knee Disassembly Question

opsoff1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
On the underside of the knee, there is a 1/4 roll pin that appears to lock the shaft into the knee casting. It isn't a blind hole.
For the life of me - I cannot get that thing to budge - anyone take this out before? BTW there is also a set screw near by - ???
Thoughts?

I remember a pin, but I don't remember it being a roll pin. I think it was a tapered pin. But my memory is not clear on that. I wonder if you try the opposite way it will move.
edit: hmm.. I guess I was wrong

1726096126837.png

Yes - I do have it (thank you)
Look right in the middle of the drawing - 1/4-20 x3/4
Socket set screw then immediately to the right - 1/4 x 3/4 roll pin.
They both go in from the bottom up towards the top.

Attachments

• IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 11
I also found that roll pin on my 8525. Here is a pic showing the underside of that area. Very interesting ! My 8525 was shipped to buyer in 1958, serial #001895. Mine is some what obscured, maybe filler in prep for paint is covering it somewhat. Haven’t had the machine apart since purchase, just use it less than I thought I would.
When you look inside the shaft sleeve, is the sleeve drilled thru for the pin to drive thru into the sleeve in order to remove the pin ? Looks as tho you need to remove the gear on the shaft in order to pull the shaft and the bearings and the shafts component parts to remove it to check the sleeve and see if it’s drilled thru. Does that make sense ? Hope that helps. Let us know if it does. Happy disassembling ! !

Attachments

• IMG_0564.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 5
My machine is also an 8525 and is only 27 machines newer - LOL (SN 0001922) I was guessing mine was mfr'd in 1960 - maybe it's older that that.

I honestly don't know what I am going to do - the hole in the casting goes clear through - so logically, a roll pin should be able to be pushed/driven through. OEM spec shows 1/4 x 3/4"lg roll pin. I have tried everything - penetrating oil, heat, roll pin punches, bigger hammers, etc.
Last night - I even tried drilling a small clearance hole down alongside it. No dice.
AT this point, I'm in the Walter Mitty / Wiley E. Coyote mode....ACME TNT or something along those lines.

That pin holds and located the shaft in the knee casting - does yours have the set screw also? I am thinking maybe is is for lubrication???

Attachments

• Knee Crank Shaft.jpg
    Knee Crank Shaft.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2
I think you have to remove the drive shaft first. The retainers and gear are the first to deal with. Then the shaft can be pulled out from the front. That will ,I think will leave the tube in place. Then you can deal with the tube and roll pin.
But as I have said, I’ve never had mine apart. I’m only looking at the drawing of the parts list and that’s not very clear.
Maybe there are some other H-M fellows who have dealt with this before !
Wish I could be of more help ! !

Back