[Newbie] 2 speed motor and RPC

taem

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently purchased an EMCO Meier Maximat V13 for my son, photo attached. It quickly became obvious that setting it up for 3 phase power with a VFD was beyond my skills: it has a 2 speed, Austrian motor (2.9 and 3.2 hp) with an engine brake energized off the winding: no power, no release of brake, motor doesn't start. Photo motor plate attached. I consulted a local electrician who recommend that I investigate RPC as it would be simpler and retain all the controls of the native machine which look quite nice. OK, I called North American Phase Converter who told me that I needed a 7.5 hp RPC but that I really needed their fancier "Smart phase" converter @ 10 hp and that the two speed motor required double the sum of the two windings in hp and the ability to balance them. This seems odd, since the motor would run at one speed or the other, not both at once. The price shot up from something like $700 to more than double that. Leaving aside that a smarter person than myself (or a smarter electrician ) could get the VFD that I have, an Automation Direct, to work, is the salesman selling me overkill? My preferred approach would be to get a 7.5hp 3 phase used motor and buy the appropriate controls @ about $370 from North American where I would get out of this for maybe $500 dollars or less for a 7,5 hp system without all the smarts. I will be pursuing the VFD with another electrician, bit would like your thoughts on the Rotary Phase Converter appropriate for this machine.

Attachments

• motor plate photo.jpg
    motor plate photo.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Emco Meier Maximat V13 at auction.jpg
    Emco Meier Maximat V13 at auction.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I don't believe that is a two winding motor. Looks like a variable torque, constant HP single winding 4 pole with a Dahlander connection to drop out two poles at high speed. Note the top motor in the attachment as it is the Euro equivalent. Given that the amp draw only ranges from 8-10, I would think balancing a RPC would not be an issue. The motor is somewhat inefficient, as two speeds tend to be so it is likely equal to a hard starting 3 hp 1800 rpm motor. The 7.5 hp RPC should be good though.

A VFD doesn't work well with a Dahlander motor unless you never switch from low to high while running. Note the wiring diagram. There are six leads to the motor. At low, three are connecting to power and three are open. On high, the other three are connected to power but the low speed leads are all connected together, making VFD wiring more difficult.

DAve

Attachments

• Motor.pdf
    159.9 KB · Views: 8
How about if I chose one and connected to that only?

You certainly can pick a set of windings that suit your style

I got a 3pole dt switch wired to the motor with an inexpensive VFD and wired it into my Tiawanese 728VHM
So long as I don’t switch speeds during operation, it will survive!

If it were me I’d go with the RPC.

Stock controls in good condition are a challenge to replicate with a VFD. My lathe has a VFD but the controls were very minimal to begin with.

A VFD conversion is a one way path that can lead to some really great features but needs to be well planned and executed for this. The RPC will get you making chips right away while a good VFD implementation could take months which is something to consider if you have pending projects.

John

You already own the VFD, correct?

Can you wire the VFD direct to the motor and brake at low speed, no other connections? That *should* work. worth a trial anyway.

Then use the VFD to get higher speeds.

The brake may complicate things. i will bet it is single phase only two leads hot bring it open. A bit of investigation should prove this. Be sure its not one leg hot and ground to bring it open. At any rate, it almost certainly has a pair of wires to pull it open. Then you just need to pull it open right when giving the VFD power.

I did this on my Vectrax mill. same kind of motor.

I would understand if you do not want to take this one, and just go RPC. Just explaining it certainly can be done with the VFD.

If you don't have the vfd yet, take a look at Facebook and Craigslist for a used rpc. I've seen them in the 5-7.5 hp range for 500-750. I like the vfd route for a lathe and have had Mark do three systems but the conversion will cost more than an rpc if the existing motor is good. Dave

If you decide to go rotary phase converter, I'd suggest buying this kit

or

they come several motor sizes.

Then scrounge for a used 3 phase idle motor.

Back