zyr7032g mill problems

knotuptoit

Registered
Registered
hello to all from east Texas,
without too much detail i finally got my Harbor Freight mill back from my ex when she sold the house i paid for after the divorce. Her boyfriend and my daughters ex husband decided, in a drunken stupor, that they were going to pick it up off the work bench and load it on the tailgate of his truck. they were so drunk they both must have believed they were superman. of course the mill hit the floor HARD! when it hit the floor they decided to drag it with a chain to the street. in the course of their drunken actions they managed to break all the hand control knobs and ripped off the reverser switch and the plastic box on the motor that housed the starting capacitor and ripped out all the wiring connections inside the box. the rest of the machine seems to have survived the ordeal. what i need and cannot seem to find is a working diagram of the inside connections for the motor. the labeling on the wires coming out of the motor are good. the wiring block is good and matched up to the wire labeling correctly but there are 4 metal straps that i cannot tell where they went. these straps appear the be used for 120/220 voltage selection. if someone has one of these mills operating on 120 volts and can send me a photo of the inside of the box on the motor and the value of the starting capacitor i would appreciate it very much. many companies other than HFT use this mill such as Grizzly and Enco but none of them use the same type "strapping" inside their connection box and so far no one has a new replacement motor part listed.
Thanks, Ken

20190316_134022[1].jpg

Hi Ken- is there a Grizzly machine that's similar? They have pretty good wiring diagrams in their manuals
Is this a round-column machine? Can you post a picture?
Mark

the Grizzly mill is essentially the same mill but doesn't use the connector block and strapping block that the HFT mill does and the color coding of the wires and numbering on the wiring is different also. there should be an attachment photo in the original post of the wiring inside my connection box. by the way i miss stated the model number it is ZAY7032g(HFT#42827) round column gear head mill. grizzly has a part number(P1126186) for their comparable motor but it is currently unavailable, so that leaves me trying to repair mine. windings inside the motor and starter switch are excellent. no damage inside the motor.

OK, well first thing I see is screws missing from the connector block which are probably metric, so you might have to splice around it. How many wires coming from the motor? You might need to trace out the reversing switch and do some checking with an ohmmeter or test light
The more pictures and info you can post the more we'll have to work with.
I can probably get you running in one direction but the reversing switch might take a while to figure out
One cap or two on the motor?

Last edited:
Ken I found a web page with some useful info:
here's a picture of a typical terminal block, from the webpage above:
Was the machine originally wired for 110 or 220v?

The pictorial above only shows two power wires but in your case with the reversing switch you'll probably have 4 plus a ground. The strapping arrangement of the Us, Vs and Zs are what you needed so hopefully this will get you going
Mark

Back