Z feed on a g0704

Did you consider a counterweight system or a gas shock system? If so, I am interested in why you ultimately decided to go with a powered solution? Do you plan to drive the z-axis under power during a cut or only to re-position?
Just to re-position. Lung and liver cancer and chemo has made me really weak. It can be so bad that I’m sometimes stuck in bed for several days at a time. I’m not complaining but I do need to make things easier.

Very sorry to hear about your weakend condition. My own encounter with "the big C" was a lot less dangerous, but I do recall that even so, the treatments laid me flat for a while. Luckily, it's well past for me. Wish I were closer ... I'd love to be able to offer assistance with the installation. Best to you!

Very sorry to hear about your weakend condition. My own encounter with "the big C" was a lot less dangerous, but I do recall that even so, the treatments laid me flat for a while. Luckily, it's well past for me. Wish I were closer ... I'd love to be able to offer assistance with the installation. Best to you!
Thanks very much!

I did mine with timing belt and pulleys from Amazon, and a variable speed pwm and momentary switch.
I like this. Getting ready to order. Looking at the 20&60 tooth pulley combo. Would like your opinion.
Thanks very much

I have 28t on both and I have a 50# gas spring to help. I have no idea what rpm the motor turns, but it moves the head with no problem and decently fast. If you are not using the spring, you might need to gear down like you stated. The pulleys are cheap, you could get 3 different ones and you could have several different ratios, just make sure the pulley pitch matches the belt pitch. I have the motor on a swivel to tension the belt

Attachments

• IMG_0006[1].JPG
    IMG_0006[1].JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0007[1].JPG
    IMG_0007[1].JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
I have 28t on both and I have a 50# gas spring to help. I have no idea what rpm the motor turns, but it moves the head with no problem and decently fast. If you are not using the spring, you might need to gear down like you stated. The pulleys are cheap, you could get 3 different ones and you could have several different ratios, just make sure the pulley pitch matches the belt pitch. I have the motor on a swivel to tension the belt
Thanks! Do you have any info on the spring install!

What kind of motor is that? Windshield wiper motor?

The spring mounts to a bracket on the top of the mill head the bottom mounts to the bottom of the column, I had to experiment with the positioning and drill and tap into the castings. The spring is about 17" long compressed. The motor is a wiper motor.

Attachments

• IMG_0008[1].JPG
    IMG_0008[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0009[1].JPG
    IMG_0009[1].JPG
    840.2 KB · Views: 17
The spring mounts to a bracket on the top of the mill head the bottom mounts to the bottom of the column, I had to experiment with the positioning and drill and tap into the castings. The spring is about 17" long compressed. The motor is a wiper motor.
Thanks very much! Ordering my parts today.

Back