Z axis power feed

derbuechsenmacher

Registered
Registered
6E8E8C2C-294F-4EB2-A9AE-8959CC2E5F79.jpeg10872C9F-E622-4E69-81D8-58FE6218E744.jpegMy power feed seems to have bitten the dust. Unfortunately there are no part number or manufacturer information on the machine. I believe it is not one of the Chinese power feeds, there is no extension shaft on it, and the shaft diameter is 7/8 (the Chinese ones are all for a shaft diameter of 5/8). The drive engages for a few teeth and then just spins, this looks like it’s part of the internals of the gear box, as there is no indication of the bevel gears grinding against each other. One additional identifying item is the bevel gears are straight. Here are some pictures of the unit. Can anyone identify this unit or give me a part number for one that would work.

Looks like an import to me - something about the lettering. Align, from Taiwan, have the same decorative cutting, but different lettering, but perhaps they all do. I'd start by pulling it off the axis which should be simple and check the gear engagement there. I thought mine (x-axis) had crapped out at one point, but it was just that it wasn't meshing with the gear anymore. A few turns of the 'nut' and it was OK.

Good luck!

GsT

Picture of the bottom gear which is toast
D975CD24-27F5-425B-A9F2-61F1117997E3.jpeg8C5237D7-9C92-4642-BF37-B924EA71CEF5.jpeg

It looks to be 106 teeth and 3.6 inches in diameter. Now if I can figure out what I have I should be able to just get a new gear. If I was any good with cad I could probably 3D print one, but gears are way out of my league

I had one of these drives, probably not this one, but they all look the same from outside. It broke, I took it apart, it sprung itself all over the bench and I swept it into the trash. Hope you have better success.

I think this is an align model. Found a gear assembly on eBay that might work. For 22 bucks I’ll take a chance on it.. the gear has ALSGS on it, and the one I found on eBay says it’s for aslgs.

I had one of these drives, probably not this one, but they all look the same from outside. It broke, I took it apart, it sprung itself all over the bench and I swept it into the trash. Hope you have better success.
Did you replace it? If so with what

I have one of these from CDCO TOOLS. Looks the sameC7DCAAC7-676F-4D6D-96B2-BE7D21ACC186.jpeg

Last edited:
I have one of these from CDCO TOOLS. Looks the same
Yes, that particular time I used Bestline. I have installed 2 X axis and 2 Z axis units, Align, Bestline and something else.
These have all been so identical, I would pick the best deal available.

Table feed equivalent drives are barely able to run a knee. Weight of knee, weight of X table & Y saddle, tooling (vise, rotab, angle plate....) and part are far higher than pushing table load and cutter. I've seen so called Z drives, but there is no distinguishable difference.
I've been lucky, 3 such units X Y Z on my Comet, I never run the Z rapid.
But, boring with the quill locked up, guided instead by vertical ways is extraordinary, tuning a feedrate better than .0015/ .003 or .006 deliver. Bigger diameters love that.

Back