Yuasa 550-030

Flightmap

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a yuasa dividing head with tail stock.
I need two dividing plates (I have one but don't know how to tell which one it is).
What I don't have is a back plate and chuck.
Also need to know what taper is used on the dead center.

Any thought would be appreciated
Ken

Center hole is a B&S #7. Good detailed information is found on the second .pdf Daryl linked to on pages 112 and nearby.

The last three pages were just what I needed. Many thanks to you both

Now on to the "wanted" pages!

If you can post the OD, ID and thickness of the plate you need that may help here on finding a replacement. Oh, also the hole sequence needed.

Ken (Flightmap) Hold up on that #7 center hole. I misread your question. I thought you asked about the center hole in the dividing head. It is a B&S #7, but you asked about the center of the tailstock. That should have a MT hole. There is a chart in the 2nd .pdf on page 110 showing the different part numbers for the various tailstocks, along with their details.

I'm sorry for misleading you.

No worries. I figured out what you meant from the chart you mentioned.

Trying to determine if any B & S #7 will work or does it have to have a long straight portion for the dog clamp (after the taper)

Since I have the tail stock with an MT center I'm good there. BTW matching s/n to the head

Need to find a back plate (metric thread) for my 5" chuck and the B and C dividing plates, and I'll have a complete head

No, not really. The dog clamps on the part or fixture you are working on, so it only needs a point that's true to the taper. In fact, if it's too long, the leg from the drive dog won't engage the slot in the faceplate.

You may be better off making your own backplate. You could control the concentricity better. But I believe you should be able to find a blank with the proper Metric thread and then turn up and thread a stub in the lathe and machine the back plate fir the chuck. That's a common approach.

My small Dividing head has a No. 2 MT in the head. The thread on the OD on mine is 10 pitch, but an non standard OD. Have no clue the brand of it. Post the OD, ID, of the plate so that way I someone has any thing extra laying around, they can match it up to your numbers and offer it to you.

Three missing parts:
#7 Brown & Sharp dead center (long length?)
B dividing plate (21, 23, 27, 29, 31, & 33). C dividing plate (37, 39, 41, 43, 47, 49)
Back plate (for chuck) M30 X P3 thread With 5+" dia for my 5" chuck

Back