Your Opinion please

Thanks for everyones input!
intjonmiller basically confirmed my suspicion... now to go hunting for new tools! woohooo...

if you want to cut squares, hexes, or opposing flats then the collet blocks are the way to go but if anything else is needed then a dividing head or rotary table is the way to go. bill

Thanks for the input Bill.
Appreciate it.

I would go for the dividing head, myself. The collet blocks are a very handy thing to have around but in most cases where I've needed them, I could've developed a workaround and continued without them. When I've needed precision indexing, workarounds quickly get complex, time consuming, and generally sketchy.

I look at this a little differently. I mostly buy used just because of the cost savings. I have a list of thing on a want list and buy when a deal comes along. I've only used my dividing head twice in the couple of years that I've owned it; but it was indispensable for the job at hand. This is a VanNorman 10" universal head that I found on eBay w/make an offer. I got it for less than a quarter of what new would cost. same with the rotatory table (10" too), local craigslist find for $100; it was locked up but wasn't too hard to clean the hardened grease out and get it working.
I think you have already came to the conclusion, buy the collet block set now and keep an eye out for other tooling that you would like to have. Or like UglyDog and other's suggested build your own.

Then,there's the " When I want your opinion,I'll BEAT it out f you!"

I look at this a little differently. I think you have already came to the conclusion, buy the collet block set now and keep an eye out for other tooling that you would like to have. .

Correct. I did reach a decision some days ago and bought a 25 piece collet block "kit" from Shars. I already have a rotary table but for small setups I find it "clunky" to get setup and dial in.
Like you I watch for C-list or the other auction sites ( doesn't everyone?) and when I see something I want/need I'll jump at the chance.

Thanks for the reply too!

Back