Your opinion on this Unimat 3 Lathe.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I'm just starting to look at (SMALL) metal lathes, no bigger than 10x 18. I'll only use a lathe to make small parts, do maintenance or repairs of other shop tools .
I have read the Wandering Axeman blog at least 3-4 times already and use that as my guide to find the right lathe for my hobby metal/woodworking shop.
The features I'm looking for(based on the guide) it has to have:
1, leadscrew/Automatic slide feeding.
2,quick change gearbox.
3,quick change tool post with extra holders.

Based on the reputation of this manufacturer,make and model, is this deal worth pursuing any further?
This is the ad for the Unimat 3 lathe:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1233185080&requestSource=b
$_27.JPG $_27 (1).JPG $_27 (4).JPG $_27 (2).JPG
THank you all for your help.
Ken from ontario.

It does not appear to have a QCGB, and no mention is made of any included tooling.

Last edited:
Thank Bob, I just did a little more digging and found out it is way too small for my use, had no idea it is a micro lathe probably not longer than a foot and a half and a small sewing machine sized motor, just watched a couple of youtube videos on this model and it is just not for me.
Oh well, no big deal ,back to the drawing board ,found a a few more lathe for sale and may come back here and ask your opinions .

The Unimats are nice little (and I mean little) lathes, but they don't have a gear driven leadscrew so threadcutting would not be possible.
Mark S.
Actually that is not truly correct; Emco-Maier used to sell a special set of thread "forming" tools for the older DB-200 style machine, but you had to have one for each thread you wanted to cut. It seemed like a somewhat clumsy way to do it. Expensive too if you wanted to collect 'em all.

Last edited:
I would buy this in a heartbeat, not because I need it but because I love it. I had two just like it years ago complete with most of the accessories and the milling attachment . I sold them years ago when I moved up in machinery size. I regret that now. I would just set it on the shelf and admire it. I still have a complete set of Schaublin 11 collets for them. I'll never be able to use them but they are too cute to get rid of. I'm sure it is not what you need but still.........

I would buy this in a heartbeat, not because I need it but because I love it. I had two just like it years ago complete with most of the accessories and the milling attachment . I sold them years ago when I moved up in machinery size. I regret that now. I would just set it on the shelf and admire it. I still have a complete set of Schaublin 11 collets for them. I'll never be able to use them but they are too cute to get rid of. I'm sure it is not what you need but still.........
lol, it looks like that's all it's good for, but I know it could do more if I used plastic or even Aluminum ,it's just not what I need ,I found an Atlas, and SouthBend 9A, ML s7 Mayford ,the Atlas has all the tool attachments and a motivated seller it goes for $$2000.
I'm still looking:
$_27 (5).JPG $_27 (6).JPG $_27 (7).JPG

Myford for many years has been considered one of the finest model engineering lathes made. If its in good shape and price is good, its in another class altogether than some of your other choices, assuming that work envelope works for you.

Back