Your first knife

I made my first "knife" sometime around age 7 or 8. I was that weird kid who adults watched out of the corners of their eyes, because I was always turning everyday objects into improvised weapons. I had a bow made out of PVC, blowdart gun made out of PVC (darts made of clothes hangers wrapped in masking tape), spears made out of broom sticks with 8" masonry nails sticking out of the end.

Anyway, my first knife was made out of mild steel; a cross-brace from an old shelving unit. I had my grandpa's old bench grinder that I would use without training, permission or knowledge of my parents. Of course it was crude, coming off a 60 grit wheel, but it was 8" long with a serrated back. Actually looked like legit knife. My cousin gave it back to me a few years ago, not sure why he had it or where it is now; If I ever find it again, I'll post it.

My most recent work comes from 2008/2009 where I made a brief foray into bladesmithing, and there's actually video evidence of the whole embarrassing self-teaching event here (my very first forged knife) and here's the outcome.

My best knife is here. Nowhere near as good as yours Dwayne, but I'm still proud of it ;)

Good job Strantor, it all just take practice. The more you do the more you learn, we don't ever quit learning or quit getting better unless we quit. I was impressed with the video on the last knife. Your efforts paid off, nice job! Keep it up, your doing good.

Dwayne

Back