Your Favorite Micrometer?

Rockytime

Active User
Registered
There is a recent thread on "your favorite caliper." Now I wonder about micrometers. I bring this up because I have a favorite micrometer which I nearly always use but never paid attention to the maker until the discussion on calipers. My micrometer is a Schurr-Tumico. I had never even heard of the company. I have LS> Starrette, B&S and lots of cheap Chinese. mikes. I always gravitate to the Schurr-Tumico. Very smooth. Feels good in the hand.

1-20170427_163552.jpg

2-20170427_163527.jpg

I have 2 goto mics, Starrett analog digital, and Mitituyo regular. Those are my regular mics. Easy to read, If I reset the Starrett too fast, I need to take the digit counter apart and reset it. It jumps. It was used, as is most of my quality equip. Both are quite good and accurate. When I need more precision, I take out a 261 I think it is.

I have at least a dozen in sizes up to 12". I use most as needed but like the smoothness of the movement of one I picked up in a deal on eBay , some brand listed scientific , but it looks like schurr tumico. I always carried a ratchet end starrett , till this one came. I mean it rolls and just feels so easy to turn and reading its good too. I must have 8 - 1" mics , depth mics, holtest , inside , metering , now I think about all of them I have to many. Some I may never need intramics b&s , . I do really like my lufkin mics tho. Wow too many

My micrometer is a Schurr-Tumico. I had never even heard of the company.

Tumico was the Tubular Mic Co & has been around for a very long time. They merged with the George Scherr Co that used to make machinists tool chests & sold other machining related tools. Scherr-Tumico is now ST Industries.

I have a 0-6" Accupro branded micrometer set that I got brand new for dirt cheap. They are made by Scherr-Tumico & look exactly the same except they read Accupro USA on them. I also have a 0-1" Craftsman micrometer that is also made by Scherr-Tumico, looks just like my Accupro ones.

Not really my favorites but I do use them often & I like them cause they all have friction thimbles which I prefer over the ratchet type. I don't really have a favorite.

Etalon Swiss micrometers. I own 3 260 series and looking for more in 3-4, 4-5, 5-6. The only Starrett I would buy is the anvil multi mike.
The Etalons will last a few lifetimes and are super accurate. I believe they are the best. Tesa and Mitutoyo are others that I would buy.

Last edited:
Tumico was the Tubular Mic Co & has been around for a very long time. They merged with the George Scherr Co that used to make machinists tool chests & sold other machining related tools. Scherr-Tumico is now ST Industries.

I have a 0-6" Accupro branded micrometer set that I got brand new for dirt cheap. They are made by Scherr-Tumico & look exactly the same except they read Accupro USA on them. I also have a 0-1" Craftsman micrometer that is also made by Scherr-Tumico, looks just like my Accupro ones.

Not really my favorites but I do use them often & I like them cause they all have friction thimbles which I prefer over the ratchet type. I don't really have a favorite.

Thanks for the Scherr info, I think my granite plate is a George Scherr plate.

I don't really have a favorite

Well I take that back. I suppose the ones I use the most would be my favorites. The ones I use the most are all Mitutoyo, 0-1" w/ friction thimble & my 0-1" & 1-2" digital Quantumikes.

I love the Quantumikes, they have speed thimbles. But being digital & "coolant proof" they are heavy but I baby them.

The QuantuMike is a great instrument. I've though of buying one and I may yet. I'm waiting for a new model from Mitutoyo. The cons for me are weight/size and
obsolecence. They are fast and accurate! They just won't last like a good mechanical Etalon though. (The electronics will give out one day, but for $250 every 10 years?
The Etalon 260 series is being sold on Amazon and the listing shows the classic model but you may get the new model with crazy barrel markings, which are very
difficult to decipher. Why did Etalon do this? I have the older 260's with the clear long-short-long hash marks.

I avoid electronic instruments and prefer an analog tool myself, but only because I had a beautiful B&S digital mic break after 13 months of ownership. Cost to repair was almost what the mic cost originally (over $200.00) so that was it for me; no more electronic measuring devices.

I'll just struggle along with my analog Etalon mics ...

The QuantuMike is a great instrument. I've though of buying one and I may yet. I'm waiting for a new model from Mitutoyo. The cons for me are weight/size and
obsolecence. They are fast and accurate! They just won't last like a good mechanical Etalon though. (The electronics will give out one day, but for $250 every 10 years?

I'm not worried about my Mitu Quantumikes or Mitu digital calipers dying for a long time. Mitutoyo makes the best digitals for the common consumer market. They don't update the digitals that often & I bought the Quantumikes when they first came out. These models are still fairly new for Mitu years.

I have the older style Mitu digitals for ID & depth mics, still working fine but the older digital stuff doesn't have as great of battery life like the newer stuff. But those also have a vernier scale on them, the Quantumikes don't. My Quantumikes, digital calipers (silver, coolant proof models), & my DRO quill DRO have awesome battery life as well as reliability, I don't think anything else currently out there can compare with Mitu for digitals. I've used Starrett digitals before & their battery life sucks, literally, most eveything else digital has China quality electronics. The Quantumikes accuracy & speed thimbles are just awesome in my experience.

All my other mics I have are vernier but not for calipers. All my calipers are digital & are all Mitu. cause I only use calipers for quick measurements, being digital they're the quickest to get a measurement. But the Mitus are nice enough to give good measurements as well.

Back