You mean you can make money in the home shop??? My first paid machining job...

jgedde

Active User
Registered
Since it doesn't appear we have a "Projects"? section, I'm posting this here...

A friend of mine is a auto mechanic. A current project of his is fixing a 2007 Kawasaki supercharged watercraft for one of his customers that he's friendly with. Customer is only paying for parts not labor and understands it's a "favor."

In an attempt to get the supercharger pulley off to change the pulley bearing (which was shot), my mechanic friend broke the nose piece off the Supercharger. I can't fault him too much for this since the nose piece is merely cast white metal of some sort with a thin cross section through the broken area - although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have damaged the unit getting it off.... :whistle:

Nonetheless, it's over $3500 for a new supercharger and the nose piece isn't sold separately. Ouch!!! And that's best available "internet price". MSRP tops $5200!!!

So, my friend came to me about possibly making a new nose piece. After looking at it I priced it at $150 plus materials (materials came from the scrap bin). It took me about 4-5 hours to make a new one from 6061 round stock.

Here's the old broken part:
IMG_1415.JPG

Here are views of the new one as compared to the broken one.
IMG_1416.JPGIMG_1417.JPGIMG_1418.JPG

It was a fun little job using the lathe and a rotary table on the mill!!!

And, despite the SNAFU, my buddy's customer is still saving money because a new pulley assembly (with new bearing) is $452!!! The bearing is not meant to be removable (it's staked in) but it can be machining out the old bearing and making a staking tool to install a new one into the old pulley. This work I've already performed and am "donating to the cause." The new bearing was $25 (paid for by the customer).
John

IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1417.JPG IMG_1418.JPG

Nice job, I'm going out tomorrow and beat the streets passing out business cards to people letting them know I can do work like that for them.

Way to go, John. You're too cheap, btw

Yeah I know. But he is a friend of mine in a jam... I'm a FIRM believer in "what comes around goes around." Then again $150 for 5 hours work is $30/hour tax free, having fun, little overhead... I'd be in the shop anyway so the electricity is wash.

John

Agreed. What goes around does come around. Friends usually get in for free, or for donations for material if they choose. Regular customers pay enough to cover the overhead, so I can help the friends out. And it didn't cost you anything that way, so you're ahead, points-wise.

Nice piece of work there John. :thumbzup: Now, don't tell my wife that you can make money with these toys of ours. She'll expect me to go and be productive! :p

-Ron

There are a couple of other ways you experienced machinists can make some fast bucks.

Clock repair tools. As some of you know, I am an apprentice to a clock repairman in this area. Any tools denoted as "clock repair" fetch some outrageous prices.
A bushing tool is a tool that turns a shaft by hand which has a cutter inserted in the shaft to make a precise hole in a clock brass movement plate. Then you change the cutter for a pusher, and install a bushing. This is to correct wear in the holes in a movement plate.

The bushing tools are Swiss and German made. They go over a thousand dollars ($1200-1500), used on Ebay, for $600 or more. The shafts often break, making it hard to hold the cutting and pushing bits. My mentor's KWM German made bushing tool has a broken shaft. It is a piece of round steel rod tapered at the end, with a slot cut into the taped end along its radius to hold a pin that is on the cutter to secure it. The shaft simply slides into the spindle. It would be a very easy part for one of you guys to make out of steel.

shaft.jpg

They get $55 for the shaft (see arrow in pic). http://www.perrinwatchparts.com/product/68.aspx You could easily sell a bunch of these to clock repair guys for $25-35 each. Not to mention making your own bushing tool for less than they cost commercially.

:tiphat:Nelson

shaft.jpg

All it takes is a drawing, or a sample.

I plan to buy him a new one because he is a great teacher. I can use the broken one as a prototype. It's under 6 inches of steel rod, and probably take you pros under a half hour to turn.

:tiphat:Nelson

Good material for that would probably be 17-4 stainless, condition H900. Fairly hard, and very tough.

Back