You Don't *need* A Lathe

A

Andre

Forum Guest
Register Today
When I got my Anschutz 1907 in a 1914 stock (Match 54 action with lighter barrel) the bolt cam surface was not broken in, so when loading CCI standard I had to hammer on the bolt to chamber. Long story short I made a extended bolt handle to replace the OEM 3/4" plastic ball.

I did not have a metal lathe at the time, so I hacksawed a piece of 3/4" hot rolled and put it on the wood lathe and started "Turning" it with files. I then centered it up in the drill press and drilled and tapped it for 1/4-20. It fit right on, so I polished it and it's been working great for over a year now. Although I used a wood lathe I could've drilled and tapped the hole first, put some 1/4-20 allthread into the drill chuck then screwed on the blank and turned it with files on the drill press.

You do not *NEED* the right tool for the job, just use your imagination and you can get the job done!!!

AnschutzBoltHandle_zps4c4d6252.jpg

Oooooh, an Anschutz....very, very nice! Way out of my price range (not to mention dang near impossible to find here in Canada even if I could afford one) but still love looking at them regardless!

Nice work on the bolt knob...:cool:. When I was working/training last winter with a machinist/gunsmith buddy of mine, he had me make several 1-piece bolt handles w/knob using mostly just a file. Turned the shaft "close" to size in the lathe, but had to finish it and form the knob using nothing more than a file(s) and various grit sandpaper (while spinning in the lathe, of course). I thought he was nuts at first, but I did learn how to work a file properly, which I probably never would have without that exercise!

I used to occasionally turn things on my drill press using files or even homemade tool bits attached to the vise's moving jaw, but a drill press spindle isn't made for side loads so it's not a real good idea. Furthermore, the side load kept loosening the taper mounted drill chuck and it would fall off while I was working.

Nowadays, still not having a lathe, I turn short parts in my mill.

Oooooh, an Anschutz....very, very nice! Way out of my price range (not to mention dang near impossible to find here in Canada even if I could afford one) but still love looking at them regardless!

Nice work on the bolt knob...:cool:. When I was working/training last winter with a machinist/gunsmith buddy of mine, he had me make several 1-piece bolt handles w/knob using mostly just a file. Turned the shaft "close" to size in the lathe, but had to finish it and form the knob using nothing more than a file(s) and various grit sandpaper (while spinning in the lathe, of course). I thought he was nuts at first, but I did learn how to work a file properly, which I probably never would have without that exercise!

You can get older/used Anschutz rifles in the states, I'm sure with a PAL (Or FAC?) you could get one sent your way. Even the old ones are scary accurate, you should see the one Lones Wigger used to shoot; broke countless records. What kind of shooting/training did you do?

I would've liked to see a bolt hand made with a file, that sounds real interesting!

I have turned a few parts using my Mill. Larger parts however require a bit more forethought.

Nice work one the bolt handle but if you ever meet my girlfriend do not tell her it's possible to make do with less. I almost have her convinced a third lathe only makes sense

The pal isn't the problem the $250.00 "fee" charged on every firearm being exported out of the US is what makes it prohibitively expensive! Thanks for that whole "free Trade thing" ???

I sincerely hope nobody's wives are reading your thread! We've all put a lot of time into convincing them we do in fact HAVE to have a lathe. Great job, just don't spread it around lol.

Andre: Very nice work.

Mike E: The wife issue is very simple. Give them the choice of activity they would rather you participate in...either machinery or (insert less desirable choice for wives' here)...no third choice. :)

A lathe would be a super cool addition to the equipment family. However, with no space for one, I can make do with a rotary table and a 4 jaw lathe chuck. I also plan to set up a jig so i can polish a drill press post, using the horizontal part of my mill. It's great to hear of alternative ways to machine parts.

Back