Yet More Newbie Questions

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Here are some pictures of the lathe I acquired in a package deal with the BP. Do not have service manual for it, from the looks of it the front panel controls are close to the Grizzly G4003, except for the modernized knobs and levers. The question is on maintenance. I popped the top cover open, the gears are submerged in oil and the end gears have grease in them. The compound and other parts in the apron area have sort of flush ball grease/oil fittings. I read somewhere that these are oil not grease fittings.

The questions:

Since I acquired this machine pre-owned, is it prudent to change the oil in the gear box? If so, with what oil to use?
Should I just follow the recommended oils and lubricants for the G4003, since they are almost long lost cousins?

2wokso2.jpg
2exqaeu.jpg
9hj8ld.jpg
8vrck1.jpg
2eb6es5.jpg
21l20d1.jpg

Concerns, should I not be?

The Left spindle speed lever or the Alpha in the case of the G4003 is supposed to have 3 positions according to the data plate on the front showing lever positions for different speeds, but it goes beyond 3 if I were to turn it clockwise. Of course the stencil on the front for the levers are all washed out. Shout this be a concern or not/

Related post. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=25618

If I were successful in acquiring a 3P motor and run it with VFD, looking back at this picture, which lever setting would be most practical to set to and run the speed with the VFD. BTW, where is the control for the lower case d and upper case D.

2lc21yb.jpg

Thank you all in advance.

2wokso2.jpg

2exqaeu.jpg

9hj8ld.jpg

8vrck1.jpg

2eb6es5.jpg

21l20d1.jpg

2lc21yb.jpg

All the D speeds are exactly 70% of all the d speeds. Maybe the lathe had a 2 speed motor or two drive belt positions.

Looking at the picture it seems the lever to the left has 3 positions and the one on the right has 2. Place the levers in the position indicated in the picture for that rpm. Then it seems each one of those selections has a high low range

The bed and carriage are virtually identical to my Jet, the headstock is different.

I think you would be safe using oils recommended for the G4003. I use AW46 hydraulic oil in my gearhead and for the other oiling points, mainly because that's what I have a lot of on the shelf. I use a sticky spray gear lube on the open gears.

Left Speed Lever--When you pull the top to change the oil and clean out the gear box, take a look at what is happening inside. I suspect that might be a neutral position. You will be able to see how everything works.

If you install a 3 ph motor and VFD then I would run the motor generally between 30 and 90 Hz. You will still use the gear selectors for the course speed adjustments, and use the VDF to fine tune your speed.

The d/D speeds must be a 2 speed motor, but I don't see any obvious control for it.

On the gearbox end, towards the front on the chip pan, there's a black box with what appears to be an electrical connection. What is that? I doubt it but maybe that has something to do with the spindle speeds?

Generally on a lathe like this there would be a double pulley system as mentioned to get the 2 ranges of speeds. Doesn't look like it has it though.

The bed and carriage are virtually identical to my Jet, the headstock is different.

I think you would be safe using oils recommended for the G4003. I use AW46 hydraulic oil in my gearhead and for the other oiling points, mainly because that's what I have a lot of on the shelf. I use a sticky spray gear lube on the open gears.

Left Speed Lever--When you pull the top to change the oil and clean out the gear box, take a look at what is happening inside. I suspect that might be a neutral position. You will be able to see how everything works.

If you install a 3 ph motor and VFD then I would run the motor generally between 30 and 90 Hz. You will still use the gear selectors for the course speed adjustments, and use the VDF to fine tune your speed.

The d/D speeds must be a 2 speed motor, but I don't see any obvious control for it.

Jim,

Thank you

Here is a close of the motor pulley. It is indeed a 2 pulley system, I thought the motor pulley is just for double belt set up, and not for dual speed. Your question prompted to verify closer, the inside pulley looks smaller, the two driven pulleys are the same dimension. Is this what gives the dual range spindle speed?

1z1hfz4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

On the gearbox end, towards the front on the chip pan, there's a black box with what appears to be an electrical connection. What is that? I doubt it but maybe that has something to do with the spindle speeds?

Generally on a lathe like this there would be a double pulley system as mentioned to get the 2 ranges of speeds. Doesn't look like it has it though.

Darkzero,

Thank you.

I posted the answer to your question in my response to Jim above.

The black box is connected to the shaft driven by the spindle control lever. I tried to get a close up, the camera was focusing on different areas in that cramped space except for the shaft.

95y4v5.jpg

1z1hfz4.jpg

95y4v5.jpg

Here is a close of the motor pulley. It is indeed a 2 pulley system, I thought the motor pulley is just for double belt set up, and not for dual speed. Your question prompted to verify closer, the inside pulley looks smaller, the two driven pulleys are the same dimension. Is this what gives the dual range spindle speed?

Yup that would do it. The smaller drive pulley would give you the slower speeds. I had assumed it was just a double belt drive also.

Below is what my 2 speed double drive looks like, my driven pulleys up are different sizes though. I prefer to keep mine on the low range. Personally if I had your Acer I would just keep it on the high range unless you would be working with mostly larger diameters.

Img_9336.jpg

Img_9336.jpg

Back