Yet Another "what's This Tool" Thread?

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi All,

I picked up these "tool holders" along with a ton of other stuff at an estate auction a couple of weeks ago. I presume they are for the lathe but not sure their purpose. They are shop made and very well crafted, so I don't think they were jigs made for a one-off job. Anyone know what they are for?

IMG_9089.JPG IMG_9090.JPG IMG_9091.JPG IMG_9092.JPG IMG_9093.JPG IMG_9094.JPG IMG_9095.JPG IMG_9096.JPG IMG_9097.JPG IMG_9098.JPG IMG_9099.JPG
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eddy

The pair of square blocks may be for sharpening HSS lathe tools with a surface grinder. I made one similar in my apprenticeship for a 60º threading tool.

Hi All,

I picked up these "tool holders" along with a ton of other stuff at an estate auction a couple of weeks ago. I presume they are for the lathe but not sure their purpose. They are shop made and very well crafted, so I don't think they were jigs made for a one-off job. Anyone know what they are for?

View attachment 122333 View attachment 122334 View attachment 122335 View attachment 122336 View attachment 122337 View attachment 122338 View attachment 122339 View attachment 122340 View attachment 122341 View attachment 122342 View attachment 122343
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eddy

That is the problem with custom made tooling and estate sales. They likely grabbed whatever tooling they had and throw it in a box. Whoever made the tooling did a great job.

The pair of square blocks may be for sharpening HSS lathe tools with a surface grinder. I made one similar in my apprenticeship for a 60º threading tool.
Thanks Tom,
That sounds like it might be the answer. Next time I'm at the shop (about 2 weeks) I'll check the angles on the blocks and see how they would hold a tool in relation to the grinder, see if it works out. BTW one of the blocks is stamped 10 degrees the other 7 ½ degrees. It would be great if they are grinding jigs as I could actually use them. The other items are more baffling...

That is the problem with custom made tooling and estate sales. They likely grabbed whatever tooling they had and throw it in a box. Whoever made the tooling did a great job.
Thanks Bill,

Yeah there was a lot of "extras" in the lots, However, I got a lot of useful stuff out of it so a few duds is no big deal.

Back