Yet Another Project, Wt900

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
Not sure what it is about me, but people love giving me free drill presses! Welcome the newest project to the force.
20161206_202047_zpsrdyr6gku.jpg

I'm still doing all the research I can, but (and correct me if you think i'm wrong) it appears to be a standard WT-900, 15" made in 1950. It's the floor model, with the tilting table. It's missing a few things, but nothing I can't make too easily.

I was in a bit of a hurry last night, so all I did was grab the nameplate info, but not to worry more pictures to come!

Congrats!

The paint is rough, but nice that it has the name plate.
How's the spindle? Much side movement?
Will it be a full restore (bearings and all)?
How about the table? Often the old ones have the "arc of shame".

looking forward to more pics!

thanks,
-brino

yeah, it's been repainted. I didn't get a chance to look it over very well. I'll be doing that tonight for sure. Once I inspect it i'll know for sure what the deal is with the spindle and if it's getting new bearings or not. Either way, it'll be getting done right.....well....at least as "right" as my skill sets will allow, haha.

The table is very happy...and by that I mean it's got a large, toothy grin. I'm very open to suggestions of fixing that. As of right now i'm thinking the 'ol mixture of epoxy and cast iron shavings packed in and ground down.

My cursory inspection last night I know I already need:
- clean and degrease EVERYTHING
- fix or make new spindle pulley. The top sheave has 2 large pieces missing.
- make a new top bearing retainer, Bearing is there (as is the spline adapter) but just floating.
- strip and repaint
- fix the toothy grin....
- replace power chord on motor

Thanks for the pictures.

That column should clean up great....it's dirty but not rusted.

If you do repair the table please keep us updated, I have not seen it done.
I was hoping you'd get a few examples in this thread.

-brino

Congrats - a great find. I restored mine a few years ago. I put in new bearings and went with a 3/4hp 220v motor with 115v input to a VFD. Its gives me infinite speed control and works great. I recently added a repro belt guard too.
Keep us posted on your progress.

P1002179_zpsc0a16785.jpg

P1002182_zps26093aaf.jpg

DPguard_zpsdwwys6fd.jpg

looks fantastic. do you know if that's the original color they came in? could I ask where you got the replacement belt guard? Ebay ones are ridiculously overpriced.

also, I use the same VFD on my little cnc lathe. great little unit!

The repro belt guard was a group buy project over on the OWWM site. They are aluminum, not cheap and do require a bit of hand fitting to work. But it came out nicely. Not sure if there are any still available or not. But you could post a "want to buy" ad over there. Here is the discussion on it.
http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f...00+guard&sid=ee799d21ba7f857a138c7db1fea1bc97

The paint I used is Rustoleum Sage Green. I can't say its an exact match, but its pretty close. I'm pleased with it.

Back