Yet another newbie question - carriage/ saddle gib

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
On the new to me ACER 1236 lathe, I noticed when I run the carriage across the, it runs looser as I get closer to the chuck. Looser by subjective feel on the crank.

I was told that was to be expected from an old worn out machine and some of looseness could be adjusted out with the carriage/saddle gibs.

I looked and there are 4 adjusters on the backside , away from the operator. Having no experience on what the new machines are supposed to run, my question is how tight is tight when I adjust the gib? I would assume if I were to adjust for the area close to the chuck for the same feel as it is close to the tail stock now, the latter might be too hard to move the carriage with the crank. Another question, is there a preferred sequence on how to adjust those 4 adjusters?

TIA

Those 4 adjuster screws are the gib adjustment. Tightening them will make the saddle tighter. Tighten them till you get a smooth steady run thru the whole transition. Be very careful, it does not take much of a turn to get it smooth again.

"Billy G"

Back