Yet Another Light for the Mini Mill

gjmontll

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have tried several different lights: incandescent, florescent, and LED, and have not been happy with any of them, so I build my own.

It is based on an Alpena SpotLite, dual LED package from Auto Zone. http://www.autozone.com/lighting/led-lighting/alpena-led-spot-lite/111799_0_0/
alpena spotlite.jpg

I want this to work for both milling and drilling, to avoid being blocked by the drill chuck, the LEDs need to be mounted on arms and aimed at an appropriate angle that gives good illumination both close in (milling) and further out (drilling). Here is the mounting assembly
mount1.jpgmount2.jpg

BOM:
(1) Alpena SpotLite package (includes 2 9V batteries)
(1) 2" x 1.5" x 1/8" steel (mounting plate)
(2) 2.5" lengths of 1/2"square steel tubing, (angle arms)
(2) 2.5" lengths of 1/4-20 All Thread (extension arms)
(2) 1" fender washers (LED mount plates)
(1) miniature push-on/push-off SPST switch
8" steel strapping (battery mount)
(2) 9 volt battery connectors
(2) M5-.8 x 12mm SHCS, with flat and lock washers
(1) 5/16 NC 18 x 2" bolt (battery mount)

The angle arms were drilled and tapped, then notched and welded to the mounting bracket.
The extensions arms were bent and welded to the fender washers. These arms, with wingnuts are threaded into the angle brackets. This allows a bit of adjustment in the Y-axis (fore and aft) direction if needed sometime.

The battery mount uses steel strapping and a bolt into a now unused hole on my mill. (I have the LMS air spring, this hole was, I think, from the factory spring arm.) The lamp assembly mounts where the chip shield should be; my used mill didn't have one.) Alpena's momentary contact switch was replaced by a push-on/push-off latching SPST switch and the LEDs, switch, and battery connections wired up.

battery mount.jpg

And the completed lamp, installed and in use. It works great!
completed lamp in use.jpg

Greg

alpena spotlite.jpg mount1.jpg mount2.jpg battery mount.jpg completed lamp in use.jpg

Last edited:
really neat! I'm impressed by how bright they are off a 9V battery.

Thanks Matt,
The two LEDs are wired in parallel, but they are fed by a pair of 9V batteries, in series. Therefore 'tis 18 V to the LEDs.
(Nothing of my invention, it is how they are wired by the manfacturer.)
Greg

really neat! I'm impressed by how bright they are off a 9V battery.

You can pick up 12 volts from the fan lugs in the box on the back of the vertical support.

You can pick up 12 volts from the fan lugs in the box on the back of the vertical support.

Thanks for the info. While designing making my light, I looked online for schematics that might show some 12VDC. The "wiring diagram" didn't show any, so I went with the batteries.

But motivated by your posting, I googled "mini mill controller board schematic" and found it does have regulated 12VDC (both + and -).
Looks like it also has 15 VDC + - available.
(I found the info at http://anivo.com/reed/G8689_cont/g8689_cont.htm)

Maybe when the batteries die, I'll tap in as you suggest.
Greg

Thanks for the info. While designing making my light, I looked online for schematics that might show some 12VDC. The "wiring diagram" didn't show any, so I went with the batteries.

But motivated by your posting, I googled "mini mill controller board schematic" and found it does have regulated 12VDC (both + and -).
Looks like it also has 15 VDC + - available.
(I found the info at http://anivo.com/reed/G8689_cont/g8689_cont.htm)

Maybe when the batteries die, I'll tap in as you suggest.
Greg

I just drilled a 1/8" hole right above the fan and ran my wire in. There are 2 screws for the fan wires, back them out slid your wire in tighten them down and away you go.

I just drilled a 1/8" hole right above the fan and ran my wire in. There are 2 screws for the fan wires, back them out slid your wire in tighten them down and away you go.

Brilliant. This saves me from having to deal with separate power requirements when I go light shopping this weekend.

I have tried several different lights: incandescent, florescent, and LED, and have not been happy with any of them, so I build my own.

It is based on an Alpena SpotLite, dual LED package from Auto Zone. http://www.autozone.com/lighting/led-lighting/alpena-led-spot-lite/111799_0_0/
View attachment 92721

I want this to work for both milling and drilling, to avoid being blocked by the drill chuck, the LEDs need to be mounted on arms and aimed at an appropriate angle that gives good illumination both close in (milling) and further out (drilling). Here is the mounting assembly
View attachment 92722View attachment 92723

BOM:
(1) Alpena SpotLite package (includes 2 9V batteries)
(1) 2" x 1.5" x 1/8" steel (mounting plate)
(2) 2.5" lengths of 1/2"square steel tubing, (angle arms)
(2) 2.5" lengths of 1/4-20 All Thread (extension arms)
(2) 1" fender washers (LED mount plates)
(1) miniature push-on/push-off SPST switch
8" steel strapping (battery mount)
(2) 9 volt battery connectors
(2) M5-.8 x 12mm SHCS, with flat and lock washers
(1) 5/16 NC 18 x 2" bolt (battery mount)

The angle arms were drilled and tapped, then notched and welded to the mounting bracket.
The extensions arms were bent and welded to the fender washers. These arms, with wingnuts are threaded into the angle brackets. This allows a bit of adjustment in the Y-axis (fore and aft) direction if needed sometime.

The battery mount uses steel strapping and a bolt into a now unused hole on my mill. (I have the LMS air spring, this hole was, I think, from the factory spring arm.) The lamp assembly mounts where the chip shield should be; my used mill didn't have one.) Alpena's momentary contact switch was replaced by a push-on/push-off latching SPST switch and the LEDs, switch, and battery connections wired up.

And the completed lamp, installed and in use. It works great!

Greg

I had been looking for small spotlights, and the last place I had on my list was Autozone. Then I read this thread and by golly you had exactly what I was looking for.
Thank You!

I just finished up my version of your set up. Not as nice as yours but still functional. I used a wall wart from a fried cable modem to power the lights. Pulling an extra 300 milliamps from the 7812 regulator on the mill power supply seems a little iffy. It's only rated at 1.5 amps if it has a heat sink. The spotlights work great. I am going to make a set for my drill press too. Maybe even the bandsaw too.

Dsc_0357 small.jpg Dsc_0358 small.jpg Dsc_0359 small.jpg Dsc_0360 small.jpg Dsc_0361 small.jpg

Royesses, I'm glad to have inspired your version. Very nice job!

Royesses, I'm glad to have inspired your version. Very nice job!
Thanks. Funny, the local Autozone's are all out of stock on those spotlights. Must be a few guys in the area that read your post.
Roy

Back