Yet Another G4003g Delivery

Update from OP (original poster) here:

I fabricated the new angle iron "outriggers" to improve the lathe pedestal footprint and stability without bolting them to the floor. I'm pleased with the way they turned out. I drilled a 1/2in hole in the ends in case I ever want to add some feet.

Lathe_new_legs_s.jpg

The actual hoist went very well. I was apprehensive because this was to be the heaviest lift I've done with my 2-ton engine hoist. The lathe only weighs 25% of the specified capacity of the hoist, and I only needed to extend the boom to the 1.5ton (3000lbs) position, but after reading horror stories on the web I was nervous. In the end the hoist didn't even grunt. I installed temporary studs to align the lathe with the mounting holes in the pedestals, which worked extremely well. The hoist straddled the pedestal offset to one side, and only required a little lateral push to lower it onto the studs. The straps and 16,000lb capacity shackle worked very well.

Lathe_in_place_s.jpg

Lathe_hoist_legs_s.jpg

The lathe and the sheet metal are in place below. Installed the power cord, filled the headstock with oil, and powered up the spindle without incident. Be advised, the apron was shipped full of oil, and it would've been easy to assume the headstock was also filled, but it was not. Next thing is to finish cleaning it, level it and complete the break-in period, then check the chuck run-out and do some test turns.
Lathe_on_the_job_s.jpg

Update from OP (original poster) here:

The actual hoist went very well. I was apprehensive because this was to be the heaviest lift I've done with my 2-ton engine hoist. The lathe only weighs 25% of the specified capacity of the hoist, and I only needed to extend the boom to the 1.5ton (3000lbs) position, but after reading horror stories on the web I was nervous. In the end the hoist didn't even grunt. I installed temporary studs to align the lathe with the mounting holes in the pedestals, which worked extremely well. The hoist straddled the pedestal offset to one side, and only required a little lateral push to lower it onto the studs. The straps and 16,000lb capacity shackle worked very well.

Thanks for the writeup and pictures. I have yet to put mine on the stands...been on the shop floor for about 75 days now.

What did you use for studs? You find some metric studs locally?

Hi Abrace.

I just bought some cheap metric bolts at the hardware store, cut the heads off and chamfered the corners to make it easier to "hit the target" when lowering the lathe onto them. The bolts I started with were a little longer than the stocks one. Longer would've been better, maybe 1-1/2 times as long.

Hi Abrace.

I just bought some cheap metric bolts at the hardware store, cut the heads off and chamfered the corners to make it easier to "hit the target" when lowering the lathe onto them. The bolts I started with were a little longer than the stocks one. Longer would've been better, maybe 1-1/2 times as long.

Cool, thanks!

Back