Yeah- So How To You Move The Head On A Supermax Mill

countryguy

Active User
Registered
Hate to even ask, but I just do not want to break anything. I wish to move the head in farther on this Supermax YMC-30 I see 2 handle cranks and 1 longer knob for the overall rotation that seems very very locked! Cannot budge it.

In trying to move the mill head back, I have loosened the two chrome crank-downs, and pushed, bumped and just cannot make it move. Unknown how long it sat in this position... hhhmmm Ya know- I never tried to move the head the other way? Maybe it is all the way in. Do they usually slide pretty easy?

On the rotation, I've tried to loosen it w/ gentle raps and taps. I guess I need to whack on it harder?? There does seem to be a 1.5" screw right over the knob... I think it's a transport lock? (SWAG) or another part to rotate, Not for moving the head??
Yellow circles over everything in the pics.

supermax-headknobs.JPG supermax-headknobs.JPG

I have moved Bridge Ports and some of the clones. They are heavy to begin with. Loosen the two set screws that tighten the gibs. Might need to use a short piece of pipe over that center handle for more leverage. It helps to rub some oil on the ways before moving the ram back so the next time it will not be as hard. The rack gear will determine the range of travel. It may be that you will need a buddy to push on the head as you crank the lever. Be careful and good luck.

My supermax has a taper pin to remove. The pin hold everything exactly the same when you go back.

Hi everyone, FINALLY- Got the time to work in the Ram and get it sliding. It was just really locked up!

some tips:
1) Yes, you remove the taper pin shown in the image above over the Ram gear handle.
2) Prentrating Oil. Shot down the small gap tween the Way's and Gibs. In the Corner on 1 side is usually open.
3) - V8 clunk in the head- I opened the large Coolant pump Access door and simply looked up! There were the gears and input from the Ram handle. Psssst. Pssst. Up went the Penetrating Oil. Waited 30 mins.

Tap Tap tap went a rubber mallet on the Ram handle and I saw it budge!!!! From there on .... Cleaned up and she's smooth all over!!

Did you have any success moving the head back?

Back