Yard Truck Conversion Project

Hey Benny,

just thinking about the tire issue you are having. when you consider that the radius of the larger tire is only an additional 2 inches, I'm thinking it's not as big a deal as the comparison pic you posted makes it out to be. Ground clearance will be increased at the same time. Great looking start on the project, hope the engine fires up for you, still thinking filing the points may make the difference in that. It could be that there was a little fuel in the carb as well, perhaps clogging something critical too starting.
Good luck, let me know how it's going. Maybe I can get by one evening to help you get her running.
Bob

Hey Benny,

just thinking about the tire issue you are having. when you consider that the radius of the larger tire is only an additional 2 inches, I'm thinking it's not as big a deal as the comparison pic you posted makes it out to be. Ground clearance will be increased at the same time...................
Bob

Bob,
Thanks again for parting with the donor JD.

I think you are right about the tire size increase. The overall height increase will be only half of the tire diameter increase if the tire still has enough clearance at the top. I think the next step for the truck chassis is to put together a riser kit (1/2 the tire diameter change) for the front and see where the truck sets level or with a little rise at the rear (for loading). Then set the differential/transmission to fit that.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Looks to be a fun project. Will be following the progress.

Newbydave

Re: Yard Truck Conversion Project -Update

Time for a little update, however there’s not much progress to report. It seems like I take three steps forward and two backwards.

I put fuel in the donor JD and attempted to start it. The starter would not crank the engine over, too much compression. I did get it to fire a few times with hand assist to the flywheel but suspect the complete fuel system will have to be flushed and cleaned before it will run, more work. Bob had warned me that the compression release was not working correctly. Knowing nothing about how this worked, I got on line and found a service manual for the Kohler engine used on the JD. I learned that there were “flyweights” on the cam shaft with little tabs that, at crank speeds, would lift one of the valves a little to reduce the compression. The weights swung outward at run speeds clearing the valves. I never got to see if that part worked.:rofl: The manual also indicated that there was an early design with non-hardened tabs and a later design with hardened tabs. Both versions would probably require a new cam shaft to correct the problem. I decided to put off getting the engine running until I finalized final tire size and established the final ground clearance.

I figured that since I would be building a new sub-frame and suspension for the rear of the truck I should start with putting the final tire size under the front. First I moved the front axle from the top of the leaf spring to the bottom thinking it would make it easier to get the larger tires and wheels under the front end without major body modification. Big mistake as it raised the truck too much and did not really give the look I wanted. Photo below shows the truck with the front axle at the new 23 inch wheel center height and the larger wheel setting next to it.
Front Lift_0741.jpg

The larger wheel shown is a very wide one from the rear of a lawn tractor and I don’t think it will clear everything under the frame on turns. Moved the axle back to the original position and looked for a different tire and wheel.

I got a couple of 12x6 tires and wheels off Craigslist that I thought would fit under and look better on the front. The wheels had the correct bolt circle but the bolt holes were small. Did not have the correct size drill that could provide the bolt clearance so I drilled to the bolt size and using a taper reamer from each side achieved the needed bolt clearance. They almost fit and looked good (even with the agricultural tread pattern) but did almost hit the outside of the wheel well on turns, see photo below. A little trim should take care of this.
Front wt 12x6i Tire_0742.jpg

Took a break and when I returned one of the new (old) front tires had blown out.:headache: So much for being cheap, should have bought new tires. Now I need to find replacements.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Front Lift_0741.jpg Front wt 12x6i Tire_0742.jpg

Hey Benny,

just wondering if you had gotten the old Kohler running yet? I spent the day mowing grass, and working on an air compressor project for my son's new (to him) shop. I made a little progress today, fabbing up a mount for the pump. The pump and motor sit perpendicular on this tank, and since the flywheel/pulley is so large, it was sitting tight on the tank with no room for a belt even.
Take care,
Bob

Back