Yard Sale Score

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Sometimes the yard sale comes to you. I was puttering in the shop when I heard the gate lock at the corner of the house. I saw a neighbour, Ken heading for my back door. The folks across the road from me are moving to a home this month. Ken is helping them out by having a few yard sales to clear out some of their accumulated stuff. I'd already picked up some good files and a big shop vac. Today, he mentioned micrometers and calipers.

I followed Ken to his garage and he dug out a cardboard box full of assorted stuff from the old fellow's career as a lathe operator. After a 150 mile motorcycle trip with the guys, I had some time to sort through it all. The archery stuff at the top of the picture I noticed on the second trip over. The bow, if I read the date code right, was made in late June of 1945.
P5241415a.jpg

There are three micrometers, two Mitutoyo's and a Slocomb. The 2" Mitu still has the standard. The vernier is a VIS, made in Poland
P5241419a.jpg

I've seen pictures of these little test indicators, but this is the first one I've seen 'live'. It's made by Lufkin. I'll use it, if only to see how well it works.
P5241417a.jpg

There's one dial indicator, a Federal, on a really nice magnetic base.
P5241418a.jpg

There are quite a few endmills, mostly four-flute, in good shape. Some centre drills, a really sharp countersink, a 1/2" reamer with some Morse adapters, a boring bar with a small Armstrong holder and a Starrett No. 828 wiggler.
P5241420a.jpg

I got quite a few carbide inserts, most of which I don't have holders for. Add them to the project list. A couple of grinding gauges, including one to size various 29[SUP]o[/SUP] acme thread bits.
P5241421a.jpg

For $25, I think I did okay. Now I don't feel quite so much like Charley's leaving me behind. :lmao:

P5241415a.jpg P5241419a.jpg P5241417a.jpg P5241418a.jpg P5241420a.jpg P5241421a.jpg

What a score. Wow:winner:

Nice find. You know you have it good when tools come to you!

Looks like I need to start going to yard sales! Nice find. My luck I'd never find something so nice for that price.:bawling:

ya, no question about it, you suck, Charlie too. . . . .

Now it's time to find holders for all that carbide? I have the threading holder. Awesome tool, I thread some things in direct drive. Fast RPS's makes for pretty threads. You will like the results.

Back