Yammering

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am not a really chatty person. I can usually say anything I want to say in 1-10 sentences. Most people I know can't. When I am in my shop or out working in the yard I like to get a project finished as quickly as possible. I usually have something else I want to do later.
My problem is that others (ie. My neighbors, my wife, friends and particularly people on the phone) want to suck up my time taking about useless crap. I call it yammering. I seem to be a prime target for yammering. Any suggestions on how I can gratiously get rid of people wasting my time when I am busy?
Thanks
Randy

I am not a really chatty person. I can usually say anything I want to say in 1-10 sentences. Most people I know can't. When I am in my shop or out working in the yard I like to get a project finished as quickly as possible. I usually have something else I want to do later.
My problem is that others (ie. My neighbors, my wife, friends and particularly people on the phone) want to suck up my time taking about useless crap. I call it yammering. I seem to be a prime target for yammering. Any suggestions on how I can gratiously get rid of people wasting my time when I am busy?
Thanks
Randy
Nothing you can do unless you say something rude.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The telephone has changed it's function in my opinion. It is no longer a means of communication but has become an entertainment center. With respect to bringing a call to an end gratiously I have used an "incoming call" excuse or " getting a low battery charge message"on occasion. True friends will keep the calls to the point if they know how you feel about extended calls. The rest I am afraid have fallen prey to "social media" My immediate family have to recharge their phones more than once a day, drives me nuts.
Have a good day
Ray

"I'm really busy right now, I'm going to let you go. Thanks for calling, take care."
Click.
Works for me.

Most "yammers" only keep going if you feed them an occasional uh huh, mmmm, or other affirmation that you are listening.
Not having any give ant take will often stop the talk. If they are someone you care about, sy so ething,like " I really want to hear what you have to say,
but can't give you my full attention right now. Is there a time we can get together when we can talk?"

1. The shop doors are closed and locked when I am working.

2. The 5 acres is fenced with 6 foot fencing around the perimeter. The gates have locks.

3. If you are not in my contact list on the cell phone, I do not answer. Sometimes I do not answer even if you are. Caller ID is a wonderful thing!!!

4. I got rid of the land line years ago.

5. I am retired, divorced, no dependents, no significant other or "girlfriend".

6. I do not do face book or any other social media.

And I am a grumpy old man!

It would be nice if there was somewhere on the web where one might complain about everything all the time.

Lo and behold it exists, it is called https://www.reddit.com/, give it a try, you will feel better or at least somewhat less human.

Good Luck

Hello. HELLO! I can't hear you, you must have driven into a tunnel. BYE!

Back