Yall talk me into or out of this machine..

Morgan RedHawk

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi yall,
If you would not mind, please take a look at this machine and sound off if you think I should go for it or no.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-H...150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27deb2faf6

It is not exactly what I am looking for but:

The Good:
1. Comes with what appears to be a nice selection of tooling, including about 60 endmills.
2. It is within an hour's drive, so I could pick it up.
3. Price is equal to the amount of bread I have.

The Bad (as perceived by a noob):
1. Round column machine
2. An older Harbor Freight machine? Possible to get parts for?

I am wanting to get a square column machine like the PM-932 or the G0762. This machine is the right size for my shop and projects.I'm just not sure if I should hold out until later this year to save up for a better machine, or go ahead and get this one, start making chips now and have some tooling to get me started.

Whatchall think?

PS Machines do not come up for sale often in this area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why didn't seller post an actual picture of the machine instead of the catalog view ?

Not sure, maybe it looked better than the ones he took. He does have a bunch of pics of the actual machine and tooling. His stand seems a bit dodgy!

The machine seems to be in barely used condition.
If your looking for that size machine, I think it would be a decent buy.
If it comes with everything pictured including the DROs and powerfeed , I think it's a great machine for someone just starting out.

I think you'll find this machine to be pretty darn capable. It looks to me like the owner really took good care of it.

It's a go from me, if you can get it for $1500.

- - - Updated - - -

Why didn't seller post an actual picture of the machine instead of the catalog view ?
Copy and paste the link to your browser to get to the actual auction page. You'll see actual pictures of the machine. Let me see if i can fix the link. OK , I just fixed the link, now check it out.

The link is for a RF-32, 40, 45 square column mill but you mention it is round column. The Grizzly and PM machines you mention are both great. Be sure it is comparable. Personally if it where round column I would skip it. Used HF would have me wary of parts availability.

Good luck,
Dave

Edit: Okay now the link is working. Looks like a good selection of tooling adding greatly to the value and asking price is inline. Good deal at that price. Maximum speed of 1500 is a little lite for aluminum but doable.

Last edited:
Are you sure you posted the right link? The machine shown appears to be a square column. This appears to be a copy (of a copy) of a Rong FU mill that is no longer made. It was a lighter weight version somewhere between the equivalent of a PM30 or PM45 size mill.

Anyhow, if the price is right and comes with some additional tooling, sure, why not get it? It is at the low end of the quality spectrum on-par with "Central Machinery" tools. If you have expectations of high quality and craftsmanship, forget it. If you want to chomp into metal and have fun, then get it. This machine is the equivalent of an old Volkswagon, Yugo, Chevy Vega, AMC Gremlin... etc...

Ray

OK... It's a round column... Personally, "I don't do round columns" but, barring that, $1500 is an OK price for a machine that has some tooling with it. You can get a round column machine brand new for about $1500 but it won't have any extras. You could offer a little less and see what happens... Benchtop round-column mills are not ideal but, will get the job done.

Ray

The link appears to be right, but just to make sure, it is for a Central Machinery ZAY7032G..
Here is a pic from his ad: Is this the one yall are seeing?
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Looks like you'd get a lot for $1,500, the seller has a lot more than that into it. It for sure would get you started and may keep you going for a long time depending on what you want to do. And it's close, very important!

Back