Ya so, that sucks...

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
Foobared...

I assume there's no fixing that.

IMAG0881.jpg

Shawn if the drill press is beyond repair, I have a small benchtop DP you can borrow until you get another one,no rush.
I'd try to find a cheap DP and swap the tables. if it's an import the crank mechanism should match many different brands.
Another option is to heat it and pound it with a hammer to close the gap then use 2 or 3 heavy duty hose clamps .

That's very generous Ken, thank you. I don't think it's necessary tho. It's a delta drill press. Not the good old ones but the somewhat newer Chinese ones. I'm not terribly heart broken over this. Since I have the mill now, I'll likely do any of my metal drilling there. I did most of my woodworking drilling on the delta.

So, pound, braze, hose clamps, rinse, repeat?

I also have an arc welder and ONE ni-ci rod. Which I had previously read can be used on cast...?
Or is brazing the safer option?

There must be an interesting "story" associated with that snafu. Please share. No fair just showing the "after".

Regarding the fix, I bought a DP of that ilk (I think) for $25. You're in a major metropolitan area.

I'd be looking in craigslist or other local such for a clone to part out.

Set up a "Search" on fleeBay for "drill press table". Something will come along.

Third option, weld up the some steel bits (heavy wall tube, bar stock spud, lips for the clamp) and machine a replacement.

I would not be tempted to repair that damage. YMMV

Is the column bent or dented (out of round)?

I'd just try to braze it back together. Had good luck doing that sort of thing several times in the past. Probably stronger than the cast iron and fairly easy to do.
Just how DID you manage to do that?

Awwwwww jeez.... I don't wanna talk about it...

In a moment of ignorance, intolerance, and frustration, I used the drill press as an arbor press seating a bearing. Which was working... but the round spacer I was using bottomed out a shoulder and everything stopped, I push harder, then harder still, then, *PINK*.. oops

Again, I'm not heart broken. Irritated, if anything. Once I feel the need to fix it, I'll try brazing it with some good clamps. Probably use a muffler c-clamp, stronger.

It can be welded using your welder and ni rod provided that yours is D.C. (A.C. may make a mess). And depending on the quality of the cast. I'm about 35 miles East of you, (Colborne); if I'm ever scheduled to be in your area I can stop in and fix it up for you with my mobile. Take about 2 minutes and a good chance to say Hi. Don't feel too bad, either. The old Delta held up pretty good. I've busted cheap Chinese vises just trying to install U-joints.

Jon.

There you go Shawn, joncooey,s offer is your best option if you can wait.
You also mentioned you have a Nickel rod and may want to try to weld it yourself, how about a torch to heat the part? an Oxy/acetylene torch would be great to have or borrow.
Let us know how you do your repair if or when you do it.

Bore a cylinder to fit the column and do a weldment maybe? That's what I would do. You could bore out a
pipe on the mill to fit. It might be an interesting rainy day project...

Back