Y Axis Power-feed For A Benchtop Mill

That's very clean looking install I bet your going to enjoy it..

Last edited:
This is my version of a Y axis power feed for the 932.

mill36.jpg

Thanks to all for the nice comments. A few more details on my Y axis install. The calibrated dial is from the junk box but was from an old Bridgeport, these are available on Ebay. The hand wheel handle folds up, I could see possible bodily injury with the OEM Y axis crank handle spinning around! These are available from Grizzly and others.

Installing the drive is one effort, rigging up the limit switches another. The picture shows how I did it. The micro switches need to be swapped one side to the other which can be done without disturbing the wiring.

mill37.jpg

My parts came in so I got to make some progress on my Y axis power feed. I still have to install the limit switch but other than that I am up and running. I really love this mod!! It makes life so much more enjoyable and gives you a better finish to boot!!

Here are a couple more pics:

I cut a keyway slot and pinned my shaft extension:
1.JPG

I also modded the bevel gear to accept my handle:
2.JPG

I made an alumnium cover since I had bought an X axis power feed...It's kinda nice as I was able to gain a little more travel by milling the cover in this fashion...
3.JPG

4.JPG

Last edited:
My parts came in so I got to make some progress on my Y axis power feed. I still have to install the limit switch but other than that I am up and running. I really love this mod!! It makes life so much more enjoyable and gives you a better finish to boot!!

Excellent work, when I get settled into the new shop i will have to add this to my project list.

Thanks Dan..

Whkamp makes a very valid point above...You need a folding handle for sure!! It's very uncomfortable having that meat cleaver spinning around your groinal region...

I will probably change the handle to a folding version or remove it all together...I doubt I will ever use the handle, the power feed is controlable even for finite adjustments...I never use my X axis handle either...

Very nice work, the mod to the bevel gear housing a great idea. For those contemplating the Y axis motor add, the top of the bevel gear housing is higher than the bottom of the table and this limits the table travel unless a work around is implemented.

Here are a couple more pics:

I cut a keyway slot and pinned my shaft extension:
View attachment 237263

I also modded the bevel gear to accept my handle:
View attachment 237264

I made an alumnium cover since I had bought an X axis power feed...It's kinda nice as I was able to gain a little more travel by milling the cover in this fashion...
View attachment 237265

View attachment 237266
Just curious on how this mod is holding up. I am ordering the exact mill with PDF and DRO and would like to add a Y axis power feed.

Back