X2 out of tram from front to back

Ngray

Active User
Registered
So I noticed my fly cutter wasn't leaving trailing marks in a work piece today (left to right), and decided to tram it up. No problem, straight now. It's common enough in the HF mill to have to do that periodically.

But what I couldn't take out was the 9 thou high in the front. This was using a dial indicator with .001 graduations held in a collet in the quill, with about a 2.5" radius sweep. I can't tell you 100% that it was ever straight front to back, because I never had a flat plate big enough to sweep it until recently... I think I had just been checking the side-to-side up til now. So I started by taking the Head off, down to the 90 degree bracket that holds the base to the Y axis, and stoning those mating surfaces. Re-assembled and.... still 9 thou out.

So from what I'm reading, the two things I need to do are:
1) Ensure the quill is in line with the Y axis, which I have NO idea how to do effectively, except that it has something to do with a drill rod. Tips/links anyone?
2) Add shim stock or aluminum foil repeatedly between the L bracket and the base until my dial indicator smiles, which could involve taking the entire Y axis loose many times.

Dear God someone please offer tips, other than buying a Bridgeport, as this little X2 is all I can swing for my hobbying. Thanks in advance.

Is there no way to shim this between the head and the column? I don't have this mill. I just wanted to bump it to see if anyone else will come along.

So I noticed my fly cutter wasn't leaving trailing marks in a work piece today (left to right), and decided to tram it up. No problem, straight now. It's common enough in the HF mill to have to do that periodically.

But what I couldn't take out was the 9 thou high in the front. This was using a dial indicator with .001 graduations held in a collet in the quill, with about a 2.5" radius sweep. I can't tell you 100% that it was ever straight front to back, because I never had a flat plate big enough to sweep it until recently... I think I had just been checking the side-to-side up til now. So I started by taking the Head off, down to the 90 degree bracket that holds the base to the Y axis, and stoning those mating surfaces. Re-assembled and.... still 9 thou out.

So from what I'm reading, the two things I need to do are:
1) Ensure the quill is in line with the Y axis, which I have NO idea how to do effectively, except that it has something to do with a drill rod. Tips/links anyone?
2) Add shim stock or aluminum foil repeatedly between the L bracket and the base until my dial indicator smiles, which could involve taking the entire Y axis loose many times.

Dear God someone please offer tips, other than buying a Bridgeport, as this little X2 is all I can swing for my hobbying. Thanks in advance.

Is it the SIEG X2 you are talking about?
If so have a look here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/19763-100-accurate-tramming-of-a-mini-mill

Petros

It is the X2, as I mentioned in the title, but not the LMS 4-bolt solid column variation illustrated in that thread. It is the normal one sold by everyone else with the tilting column held by 3 bolts.

However, that rod-averaging method looks sweet. I'll give that a shot.

Checked my Quill-to-column alignment, and it's within a thou and a half over 3", but it's likely better than that, as the rod was out of round, and likely moving right to left on me as I ran it up and down. Also checked my X axis, and it's within 3 thou over 5", and Y is within a thou and a half over 5". So overall, well, it is what it is, but doesn't speak to my 9 thou original problem.

I took some aluminum foil to it, and after two fitting trials tonight, I think one sheet will get it close, but not perfect. I started at -.009 baseline, and with 4 sheets went to +.30, and 2 sheets is +.007. With that said, I'm not sure 1 sheet will be highly accurate, I'm guessing it'll come in -.002, but who can say. Probably good enough compared to my other axis' peculiarities. My foil sheets mic'd at about .0009 each. To really dial this in, I may need sub-thou shim stock, but I can't find it moderately priced. Everyone seems to have down to one thou, and grainger has a roll of .0005 for $65.

Any tips?

Back