X2 Mini Mill iGauging DRO install

CODEMAN

Active User
Registered
Well, I searched for threads specific to the X2 mill and couldn't seem to come with up many, so I thought I'd post this for others that may want to do the same.

First of all I purchased 3 iGauging units from an ebay vendor. There's a bunch of them. I got 2 ea of the 12" and 1 ea of the 6" units. I had to cut one of the 12" units down a bit for the X axis (used a dremel with a cut off wheel but you can use most anything and it doesn't damage the slider) but the others…(6" for Y axis and 12" For Z axis) went in without cutting down.

Here is the Z axis slide with the sending unit
P1060982.JPG

Here is a picture of the mount at the top of the Z axis slide. I had to raise the slide off the column with some 1/4" aluminum to allow the sending unit to clear the bolt that holds the counter weight on the other side of the mill. I also took the stock Z bracket that came with the iGauging unit and beat it flat, then made a much shallower Z bracket with a cut out that cleared the adjusting nuts for the column.
P1060981.JPG

Here's a picture of the back side of the X table with the slide mounted. I first mounted 1x1 alum chip guard. The 6-32 screws pass through the bracket and the angle alum and only the X table is tapped. I already had the table off of the mill to work on smoothing out the ways and dovetails, so it was easy to put the table on the bench and mount the slide, but the sending unit has to be attached to the table and is stationary on the X axis so there was a lot of mounting and unmounting the x table in order to get the fit correct for the sending unit. Again, brackets were formed using the existing Z brackets and reducing the offset so that the spacing between the sending unit and the table was correct. I think if I did this again, I would leave the table intact and remove the column to allow access to the back of the X table. The other picture is of the end bracket of the X axis slide. I removed the bellows that covers the x axis leadscrew. I put some velcro on the back of the sending unit and on the bellows and when I use the mill will simply attach the bellows. The lip of the bellows tucks up under the angle aluminum chip protector quite nicely.

P1060984.JPGP1060985.JPG

Here's a shot of the Y unit. Pretty straight forward here. The sending unit sits about 1/4" from the end of the X table so I again bent the Z bracket to fit. It's important that there is no stress or twisting on the slide so you have to fool around with it until it's right. This sending unit slides the length of the slide so you have to make sure it clears the feet of the mill.
P1060990.JPGP1060988.JPG

Now on to mounting the displays. I had some angle alum and some mahogany laying around. I also had some 3/8" magnets that matched the magnets on the back of the displays so I measured everything and then recessed the magnets into the wood using a forstner bit. The magnets sit above the surface of the wood about 1/8" and they click into the slight recess with the magnets on the display unit. They stay put but are easily removed to replace batteries when needed. The angle alum was mounted to the back of the main power switch using two 6-32 screws, washers and nuts. Plenty sturdy enough. I put some wire tie do dads in the back so I could get all the wires out of the way. Then I got some of that split plastic wire housing stuff at the local hardware store and ran a length of that from the X and Y sending units down to the machine.
P1060987.JPGP1060993.JPGP1060994.JPGP1060986.JPG

And here's what it looks like now
P1060992.JPG

Now to make some chips

Steve

P1060982.JPG P1060981.JPG P1060984.JPG P1060985.JPG P1060990.JPG P1060988.JPG P1060987.JPG P1060993.JPG P1060994.JPG P1060986.JPG P1060992.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job. Attention to detail is the hallmark of a good machinist.:allgood:

Very nice, clean installation.

I couldn't quite tell where NightWing placed his X axis bar, but I see that you put yours behind the table, as I did on my installation a couple years ago. My only complaint with this (though I don't know how to avoid it) is that you lose a but of Y travel. Ah, well...

Be sure to label your readouts! Don't ask me how I know :whistle:

Nice installation Steve. Very much like I did on my LMS Mini Mill although I installed the Z axis on the standard helper spring side after I converted it to an air spring. I mounted my X axis high enough as to not interfere with the table movement, but still below table height. The sending unit just touches the post mount at full in travel at the center of table movement. Y axis is the same and I used some sheet metal for my dash.

You may want to check out some of the other mods available to you when you get the time or need.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=22202

DRO's will open up a whole new world of accuracy and professionalism for your projects.

Rick

Thanks for the comments guys! I definitely have the stiffening plate and the x motor feed at the top of my list of things to get next.

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the post. Great job. Looks very tempting and I will probably go for one. Can you please tell me the following..
1. Does your iGaging DRO have any USB port so that it can communicate with a computer?
2. What did the three iGaging DRO's cost you?

Regards
Prasad
Philadelphia PA

Well, I searched for threads specific to the X2 mill and couldn't seem to come with up many, so I thought I'd post this for others that may want to do the same.

First of all I purchased 3 iGauging units from an ebay vendor. There's a bunch of them. I got 2 ea of the 12" and 1 ea of the 6" units. I had to cut one of the 12" units down a bit for the X axis (used a dremel with a cut off wheel but you can use most anything and it doesn't damage the slider) but the others…(6" for Y axis and 12" For Z axis) went in without cutting down.

Here is the Z axis slide with the sending unit
View attachment 81460

Here is a picture of the mount at the top of the Z axis slide. I had to raise the slide off the column with some 1/4" aluminum to allow the sending unit to clear the bolt that holds the counter weight on the other side of the mill. I also took the stock Z bracket that came with the iGauging unit and beat it flat, then made a much shallower Z bracket with a cut out that cleared the adjusting nuts for the column.
View attachment 81461

Here's a picture of the back side of the X table with the slide mounted. I first mounted 1x1 alum chip guard. The 6-32 screws pass through the bracket and the angle alum and only the X table is tapped. I already had the table off of the mill to work on smoothing out the ways and dovetails, so it was easy to put the table on the bench and mount the slide, but the sending unit has to be attached to the table and is stationary on the X axis so there was a lot of mounting and unmounting the x table in order to get the fit correct for the sending unit. Again, brackets were formed using the existing Z brackets and reducing the offset so that the spacing between the sending unit and the table was correct. I think if I did this again, I would leave the table intact and remove the column to allow access to the back of the X table. The other picture is of the end bracket of the X axis slide. I removed the bellows that covers the x axis leadscrew. I put some velcro on the back of the sending unit and on the bellows and when I use the mill will simply attach the bellows. The lip of the bellows tucks up under the angle aluminum chip protector quite nicely.

View attachment 81462View attachment 81463

Here's a shot of the Y unit. Pretty straight forward here. The sending unit sits about 1/4" from the end of the X table so I again bent the Z bracket to fit. It's important that there is no stress or twisting on the slide so you have to fool around with it until it's right. This sending unit slides the length of the slide so you have to make sure it clears the feet of the mill.
View attachment 81464View attachment 81465

Now on to mounting the displays. I had some angle alum and some mahogany laying around. I also had some 3/8" magnets that matched the magnets on the back of the displays so I measured everything and then recessed the magnets into the wood using a forstner bit. The magnets sit above the surface of the wood about 1/8" and they click into the slight recess with the magnets on the display unit. They stay put but are easily removed to replace batteries when needed. The angle alum was mounted to the back of the main power switch using two 6-32 screws, washers and nuts. Plenty sturdy enough. I put some wire tie do dads in the back so I could get all the wires out of the way. Then I got some of that split plastic wire housing stuff at the local hardware store and ran a length of that from the X and Y sending units down to the machine.
View attachment 81466View attachment 81467View attachment 81468View attachment 81469

And here's what it looks like now
View attachment 81471

Now to make some chips

Steve

View attachment 81460 View attachment 81461 View attachment 81462 View attachment 81463 View attachment 81464 View attachment 81465 View attachment 81466 View attachment 81467 View attachment 81468 View attachment 81469 View attachment 81471

I'm glad I found your Post. You have a very nice installation. I have a Grizzly G0781 very similar to your mill. I have installed igage scales on the X and Y. The Z is waiting until this weekend. I see you have a chip guard on the X and not the Y. I have installed neither. The Y installation does not lend itself to a chip guard. Not thinking about I did not add a chip guard either. My question is this. Are you having problems with chips on the unprotected scale? I may have to re-fit my X scale if problems occur.
Regards, Les

I'm glad I found your Post. You have a very nice installation. I have a Grizzly G0781 very similar to your mill. I have installed igage scales on the X and Y. The Z is waiting until this weekend. I see you have a chip guard on the X and not the Y. I have installed neither. The Y installation does not lend itself to a chip guard. Not thinking about I did not add a chip guard either. My question is this. Are you having problems with chips on the unprotected scale? I may have to re-fit my X scale if problems occur.
Regards, Les

I've had no issues with chips on the scales. I do vacuum often as I'm working to keep chips under control.

When I installed the Igaging scales on my little Sherline mill I did not feel that I had space for ridged chip guards so I just went down to the local fabric store with the wife and bought a 1' x 3' pc of thick vinyl (guess it's used for custom shower curtains or ??). cost all of $4.00 and will probably last me forever (well I am an old F@#t). It's just held on with simple spring clips.

IMG_20170217_154210019_HDR.jpg

Back