X Y Drill Press Vise.

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
Posted this a while back to find out were it came from looks like the one H.F. sells. It was given to me over 20 years ago so I don't think it came From China.

The machining isn't very good but with a little work it will be ok for what it is. I've been tripping over and kicking this thing around all these years so I figured I needed to fix it or scrap it.

I decided to take it apart clean paint replace the steel jibs with brass ones. It seem to be pretty smooth now it will work on my old camel back drill press.

Paul

Front.JPG Side.JPG

Nice...

I've been looking for a half-decent vise like that for a while now. Can't seen to find one that's not a piece of junk. If you or anyone knows of one that doesn't cost a King's ransom, let me know.

Ray

Would have gave you this many times over the last few years, But now that it is fixed and working good I'll hang on to it...:whistle:

Paul

I believe I have the exact same model, got it in a buy of a bunch of stuff when a retired gentleman was forced to sell out his shop (small as it was) to move into the city closer to the nursing home his wife was placed in.

I need to give it some TLC and make some new cranks for it.
(out of curiosity, how bad does yours 'lift' when tightened on square stock?)

Looks just like one I bought some years ago at one of those job lot places. Real piece of junk, I think the axes are about 5° out of perpendicular. Used it for some light milling in my drill press before giving up and buying a proper mill.

I put in a 1/14 square stock and It doesn't seem to have any lift.

Paul

Know Lift.JPG

Back