X Power Feed Question

parshal

Registered
Registered
I assume this applies to all power feeds but since it's a PM machine I'm asking here.

I've had my 833 for a few weeks now and have been using the power feed the entire time. In the last few days I've noticed a jump or stutter (I have no better words to describe it) when I engage the power feed if it's on a faster setting. I remeshed the gears and tightened the mounting bolts. I took this video turning it on about nine times. All but one time it makes the 'hard start' sound. In the video the second engagement is what has been normal until the last few days. You can hear the first and third time has a sound just as the motor turns on. If it had done this since day one I'd assume it's normal.

For those with power feeds, is this normal for you?

I have the exact same set up on my Craftex CT054 Mill. As far as I can remember it has always made that clunk into action. By engaging it disengaging it while turning the hand wheel I can tell that there is a dog clutch in there and not a friction clutch. Also at low speeds there is a delay to start feeding. What I suspect is that there was a thick blob of grease placed in the clutch making it engage and disengage silently. Now that the grease is laying on the walls of the shroud with only a thin film remaining, you can now hear it's normal operation.

I have an Align power feed on my PM-727m it sounds the same as your video. I wondered at first if the clunk when engaging was normal now I'm pretty sure it is.

Yep, dog clutch. Disengages to a dead stop smartly every time, but has to hunt for engagement on start up.

That clutch disengages and engages smartly so the feed stops where you want it. Try stopping the feed by shutting off the power and you'll see it coast to a stop going past your intended position. Also, if the clutch doesn't disengage you can't use the handwheel without turning the gears and motor.

Came here wondering the same thing after testing the Z axis power feed on my PM833T. Thanks for the info!!

Back