X axis tightens up on one end

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I have a new mill, a PM835S. I cleaned up the dovetails without taking off the table. I used WD-40 to get all the cosmoline out from under then shot with the one shot lube system. I hope someone here has had this experience before and know how to fix it.

The gib comes in from the left side. I adjust the gib screws so that the gib is all the way to the left, the gib screw on the right is as far in as it can get. But when I move the table all the way to the left, towards the end, maybe 4/5 of the way, it starts to get tight and gets worse the farther I go.

I remove the gib and the problem goes away. There's gouge marks on the front side and back side of the gib, from what I assume, are designed for the way oil to get trapped. I put the gib back in and have the same issue.

I already emailed Precision Matthews about it. Hopefully someone here has a solution or hopefully their tech support can guide me how to get rid of that tight end.

First thing I would do is remove the table and be sure there is nothing on the ways of the table or the saddle. Also check that the lead screw nut runs the full length of the thread without binding. Clean everything thoroughly. Run a honing stone on the gib surfaces and see that there are no burrs or lumps from the gouges you mentioned. Look for any discrepancy on the finish of the mating ways of the tight end. If so, dress them with the honing stone. Lube the ways as you reassemble. Install the gib and check that it is actually being locked between the two adjusting screws (no play left or right). If not, you'll need to address this first. Adjust the gib as loose as possible but defiantly locked. Traverse the table. Does it still bind on the right end? If it doesn't bind, keep adjusting the clearance out until it gets as smooth as possible over the entire travel.
Please report back what you find....it might help the next new owner.

Back