x-axis stops?

FanMan

Mechanical Hacker
Registered
This may seem a stupid question, but what is the point of the adjustable x-axis stops on my Jet 15? I'm ready to mount igaging DRO's, but the stops are in the way in the front, and if I mount the x scale in the back I'll lose y travel... so what do I really need the stops for?

A pic of what you are trying to accomplish might really get some one with some ideas working. I think I understand what you are trying to do but it isn't clear and I'm sure the rest of the folks looking in are trying to figure it out also. So a Pic of the area and an arrow or pointer would be great!!!

Bob

I think I understand what you are looking at - the stops are probably in a nice T slot in the front edge of the table, like most mill - drills. It makes a nice place to mount the scale for the x axis, but you have to remove the stops to do it, eliminating the ability to set stops. To answer you question of what are they used for? Well, they can be useful for anything that requires returning the x axis to the same point repeatedly. You might be milling a large pocket and set a stop just shy of each end of the x dimension and just have to watch the y and z, making sure each x axis pass starts and ends at the same point to rough in the dimension, removing the stops for the final clean up passes. Does that give you some idea? I'm sure someone with more experience than me can give more and better examples.

Dan

If you still want stops on the front this is what I did. I don't know if it will work for your mill but you might be able to make something similar. I leave the mounts on and pull the rods when not in use. The rod locks with a set screw. I have the same setup on each end of the table.

2012 005.jpg

Back