1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

X-axis Power Drive

Discussion in 'ENCO & RONG FU IMPORTS' started by Hawkeye, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canada Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Kelowna
    State:
    British Columbia

-Return to Top-

Even though I haven't been to work since I broke my shoulder in July, the boss sent me a good bonus with his Christmas card. When I was trying to decide what to use it for, I remembered that I would like to add a power drive to my mill/drill's X-axis. I ordered one off eBay and it arrived in only about a week. Since the eBay listing doesn't say which machines it will fit, I ended up with the wrong one. Good thing I have a machine shop.

If I adapted the drive to fit on the leadscrew, I would have lost 6 or 7 inches of travel. Here's the original arrangement.
    PC300172a.jpg

I made up an extension mount to give back the travel I would have lost.
    P1010177a.jpg

And a shaft extension. Trial fitting the Woodruff key after cutting the slot.
    P1020181a.jpg

Almost done.
    P1030183a.jpg

Then, an adapter sleeve to mount the original dial.
    P1030184a.jpg

I haven't used it much yet. I'm really looking forward to not having to turn the crank on long cuts.

2. calstar

calstar United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    santa barbara
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Really nice work! How do you like its operation? Brian

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canada Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Kelowna
    State:
    British Columbia

-Return to Top-

I use it all the time. It will turn slowly enough to give a good finish. I have to remember to release the X-axis locks because it has enough torque to move the table with the locks on. The rapid over-ride can move the table faster than I can crank by hand.