X-axis handwheel on LMS 5500 mill

Old Rivers

Registered
Registered
Just received my new 5500 Bench mill from Little Machine Shop, and I'm scratching my head as to why the X-axis hand wheel is fitted with a dog clutch. In order to engage the hand wheel you must push the handle toward the table, compressing a spring and hold it. I find it a mild nuisance. The Y and Z axis hand wheels do not have this "feature". I can easily defeat this using a spacer, but I would like to know why the manufacturer went to the trouble of designing this. Any ideas welcome.5500 mill handwheel.jpg

Bill

It's probably what I would call a "goof protector" it makes you think before you turn the crank, or it's used when power feed is fitted
I would defeat it
Mark

It’s in anticipation of you buying an X-axis power feed. You know you will. :encourage:

Tom

You'll get tired of working with the dog type hand wheel. For sure, you got to get a power feed for it. I bought mine for LMS at the same time I got the mill and use it all of the time.

Over ride it. My mill has x power feed and I still made mine solid. Plenty of ways to hurt yourself in the machine shop. What’s one more.

Many thanks to all who replied.
x-axis power feed is added to my growing wish list :fat:

Bill

Back