WWII South Bend 9 Model A Value

Pays

Registered
Registered
I would greatly appreciate your assistance in placing a value on a Lathe. I wish to sell it. I live near Portland, Maine.

I have a 3-1/2' Model A which I bought 20-30 years ago from the son-in-law of the first owner. I took it apart when I bought it and painted it very carefully. I am not sure if it is a "Virgin", but it still has what I understood to be called 'frosting' on the ways. There are two tiny nicks (maybe 1/16" and 1/8") on the ways below the chuck. I have used it very little, but I have enjoyed looking at it and using it once in awhile. I believe it to be in excellent condition with no rust and no damage.

It is s/n 157029 with WEF next to the number. It has a metal tag that says it was approved by the War Production Board. I was told that a local machine shop purchased it during the war, so that the original owner could work on it at home for job-related projects.

It is a Bench Top Model, mounted on a new, good wood worktable. It has a GE motor which I believe is original. I re-wired it with top quality wiring when I bought it.

Some of the Accessories:

Taper attachment
2 - 6" #40 South Bend 4-jaw chucks
4" Watson 4-jaw chuck
5" Cushman scrolling 3-jaw chuck, inside & outside jaws
2- Follower rests
1 - Steady rest
8, 7-1/4" Face plates
#1,2,3 Vulcan dogs
#61 Vulcan dog
Large dog
6, 5" Dog plates
#3, 1A, 7B, 3-6-34 Jacob Chucks with keys
6 - Morse taper dead centers
2 - Morse taper live centers
Morse taper inside-cup center
5 - Morse taper Reducers
Morse taper mounted Turret
Enco SB M422-2 Turret
2 Sets (15 each) Collets 1/16 - 1/2" - SB and Rivett
2 - Collet holders
13 - #143 Cleveland twist drill mandrels 1/8 - 1/2"
7 - Tool holders
Armstrong #29R parting tool
2- Boring tool holders
Boring tools
Armstrong #00-K Knurling tool in box
2 - Micrometer stops
Thread Dial Indicator
Many Cutter bits

Much thanks,

Pays, new member

2012-02-28 17.00.36.jpg 2012-02-28 16.57.15.jpg

Sooo? What is it worth? Can you give us a price as to what it sold for?

My SB 9A in richmond VA that needed a good cleaning and refelting. Couple of various live and dead centers, 2 three jaws, 1 new 4 jaw. NO QCTP. No table. I purchased for $550.00.

Since then I have cleaned, painted, re-felted, added micrometer depth stops, QCTP, belts.

It sold to the first looker in about 3 days for $2,300 including all extra tooling, except 1 micrometer stop and 1 follower rest which are available for sale.

Pays

It sold to the first looker in about 3 days for $2,300 including all extra tooling, except 1 micrometer stop and 1 follower rest which are available for sale.

Pays

I think that was very fair. especially for the extras that went along with it.

How much for the follow rest. I am interested!

I have seen them for $120-200 on EBay. How about $125 plus shipping?

Pays

Back