WW2 submarine restoration

I toured the Pompanito in 2002. I forget what the lathe was!

Full picture of lathe pulled off the web, may have been a special smaller Monarch version. List of missing parts can be found in the link below.
Lathe on USS Pampanito (SS-383)
Lathe  on USS Pampanito (SS-383).jpg
Monarch 14C Circa 1940
Monarch 14C Circa 1940.jpg

Reactions: rwm
I have did a tour of the USS Pampanito when we lived in SF, must have been at least 20 year ago, everything was intact visually. Sounds like they are trying to return it to some level of functioning condition. Very cramped inside, there is a reason they call them Sardine cans. Always have been fascinated with WW2 ships/submarines and the battle strategies from all sides. We tend to forget how horrific it was, was, my dad flew B17's in Europe and got shot down behind enemy lines at the Battle of the Bulge, the French underground eventually got him out and across the English Channel. My mom is from Belgium and escaped 1 day before the Nazi's invaded and shipped millions off to the gas chambers, you pretty much just got out with the shirt on your back. If you did not have a US person that would 100% sponsor you, you could not emigrate. She was 15 at the time.
History like that is so rich. God bless her for making it through those tough times. And your father.

Back