Wtk What Is The Best Mill I Can Get For $2,500

chiroone

Registered
Registered
Greetings, after a few years, I finally gather enough green to get a mill. I have about $2,500 to spend. I am thinking the PM932, what is the opinion of this mill? If not, any others out there that would suit. I am using it got hobby type purposes, maybe some light gunsmithing. I am also wondering if I should really go the extra almost $300 for the power down quill or spend the $$ for some tooling and a DRO later. Is there any advantage to the power quill? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

i don't know your space limitations, or you needs for that matter- but you can get a Bridgeport out my way for that kinda scratch.
if i had the space i would not get a light duty milling machine, if i had the chance to get a heavier machine. the Bridgeport will almost take up the same footprint

I have used an almost identical mill very successfully and I have nothing critical to say about it. For my money I would shoot for a used Bridgeport (or good clone) as it will have more rigidity, flexibility & functionality but it does require more space and weighing in at 1,000# it cannot be placed just anywhere.

Actually, your average Bridgeport mill weighs about 2000 pounds.

Where the op lives, you have to live on C L and be fast to get a machine at a good price. There is a local machine dealer that does just that.

The Bridgeport weighing in at over a ton maybe be bit over kill for the the occasional AR lower, 1911 frame and some other light stuff. Also, if it needs work, that will kill the budget. At this point it is between the Grizzly G0755 and the Precision Matthews PM932 I think

More ridge the better even on lighter stuff. I would not want a mill without power down feed. It's not something you use all the time but it sure is nice when you need it.

You could do the work you are wanting on wither of those mills, but don't think a used BP is over kill. Usually they are in good condition at the price you have to spend.

If you have the room, go large. Once you start using it, other projects will soon creep up. But if you do go the mini-mill type, I would not consider anyone except Precision Mathews. He is a class act.

I faced the same situation about a year ago. In my neck of the woods (Albuquerque, NM at the time) there just was no good used Bridgeports to be had. I almost pulled the trigger on a PM mini-mill, but knew I would alway want (and need) a larger mill. I spent a little more than $2500 for a Bridgeport that had to be shipped from New Jersey, but I have not regretted it one bit. BTW, my initial need would of easily been satisfied with a mini-mill, but just having it, I've taken on stuff that I could never with a smaller mill.

Where you live, a good used one should be easy to find on CL.

Back